Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ALL PITBULL OWNERS PLEASE ENTER! THIS IS NOT A BASH POST!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 147 Replies

OK--

So--I have a friend who has a pitbull and a TON of birds. She and her DH and 2 girls are going to Brazil for 3 weeks this summer. I am taking care of her pitbull and birds while she is gone. My mom freaks out any time I mention Daisy the pitbull!!! She has told me IDK how many times now--"STAY AWAY FROM DAISY!!! SHE's a PITBULL!! THEY ARE SOOOOO MEAN AND VICIOUS!!!!!" BLAH!! BLAH!! BLAH!! I asked my friend if Daisy has ever been mean/bitten anyone. She said NEVER!! Not once! Her daughters have their friends over, and Daisy sleeps in the bedroom with the girls!! The parents of the girls have no problem with Daisy being in there with them! They are actually glad there is a pitbull with the girls!! If anyone tried to harm the girls, Daisy would hurt them big time!

Anyway, any time I go over to my friends house, Daisy is lying on an area rug on her belly with her legs spread out like a cat!!! She is the most mellow, laid-back sweetheart EVER!! I always let her know I am there, so I don't startle her, and I walk over to her and slowly move my hand toward her, and pet her and tell her what a good girl she is!!

I just want to hear from ppl who have pits or who have had pits how many of your pits have ever bit someone, growled/snapped at someone etc. I also want to know--do you know if pits are genetically predisposed to be aggressive or do you have to treat them badly to get them to behave badly. There is A LOT of contradictory information regarding whether or not pits are 'born' with a 'mean gene.'  

I read online that MORE ankle-biter dogs bite ppl than pits! Of course, you don't hear about the ankle-biters on the evening news, b/c the damage isn't anything serious.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might have into these beautiful dogs!! I have yet to meet a single pit that wasn't just the sweetest thing and all the pit owners I've ever met have told me their dog would ONLY become aggressive toward someone if say someone broke into their house or was attacking their master, etc., etc.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My Pits don't bite unless provoked or told too.
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My MIL has a pit and she is SOO sweet! She has never hurt anyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Is that a pic of your MIL's pit with your child in your avi? I LOVE that pic!! :)

Quoting BamaMommy2:

BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

No, that's actually our dog with my 4yr old. Thank you!

In all honestly, I think our dog would bite someone before my MIL's pit would.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is that a pic of your MIL's pit with your child in your avi? I LOVE that pic!! :)

Quoting BamaMommy2:

cshepard
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Our pit is a big baby. He barks at strangers and sounds super scary and that's what he's for. But he loves everybody!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM

AWWW!! So you have a pitbull too? I think they are wonderful dogs!! :)

Quoting BamaMommy2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BamaMommy2:

fallenstars
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I've owned two and never had one that was aggressive. My bil had a BIG boy named Caine and he would come lay down just so the kids would come rub his back. He was great with the kids. I had only seen one pit actually be aggressive and he was a rescue of my bils he was beaten and left for dead. He was almost completely blind and deaf so he was kind of grouchy. He had to be chained up outside because of it. But we do think it's because he couldn't see or hear what was approaching him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

No, but she does get mistaken for pit sometimes. She's part Boxer. I definitely plan on getting a pit sometime in the future.

Quoting Anonymous:

AWWW!! So you have a pitbull too? I think they are wonderful dogs!! :)

Quoting BamaMommy2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BamaMommy2:

lilbit53009
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

the lady i work with said the same thing about her pit, how he's so sweet and would never attack...she's now had animal control called on her twice because he's attacked other dogs randomly at the park. she has him in training and everything too and all she talks about was how people just stereotype him because he's a pit.

he just attacked another dog this weekend and she's in here crying cause she's gotta pay the dog owner's $800 vet bill

i have nothing personally against pits...i actually don't like any animals really (so they're all equal to me lol)...but i just thought i'd add that in since she's been talking about it all day and now i come across this post.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I have never had a pit do anything bad.

My heart broke yesterday when I took my pit, Boo, to my now ex-SO's house because she kept crying for him and wouldn't let me sleep. She too would sprawl out spread eagle like on the carpet, especially in the sun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)