Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How far do you live from civilization- err, grocery stores, etc?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 67 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am so soick of living so far away.

We bought a home last year that is a great investment; they started to build a town, bottom fell out, so it's a bunch of nice, new homes in the middle of nowhere.  Slowly we're getting stores built, but right now.... well anyway, our values have risen substantially just in the last year, so I console myself with that.

I have to drive 45 minutes each way to go grocery shopping.  I need to go so badly today, but I HATE spending all that time in the car. 

I could just drive twenty each way, but that's for sucky stores in a depressing dirty town where people drive like assholes.  Not even worth it.

So I drive my near-hour, bring coolers because it's summer and my berries, fresh fish, and greens will literally spoil on the way home otherwise, do my shopping, load up the car, come home (oh, another train?  So I'll just have to sit here for twenty minutes with my AC begging for mercy.  Fine), have to unload everything by myself, make supper and catch up on the daily chores that slip behind because I am gone half the stinking day.  I'm also rather pregnant, so I'm just a ray of sunshine by that point, lol.  Then I wake up the husband so he can go to work and nighttime parent all by my lonesome.

I need a better strategy or something. 

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Roughly two blocks. Why don't you relocate?
Zazayam
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I used to live like that. I miss the peace and quiet, but I can walk to the store and that's amazing.

storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM
We are rural. I have a Dollar General three miles away and groceries are about 20-30 minutes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mattiehatter
by Mary on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM
I have a grocery store in town but I hate it. My preferred grocery store is 40 miles away. Simmer does make everything so tricky, but we manage.
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

Roughly two blocks. Why don't you relocate?

Because we LOVE our home... it's just far away, lol.  Besides which, we are recovering from a large financial hit and the house is helping us do that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I lived in an area where we had to drive 45 minutes to get to a grocery store. Luckily now we moved and we're about a mile away, so we can just bike to save on gas.

haileys_mommy06
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
It's all right down the street.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM

we live right in the middle of the city. we have a gas station/convenience store right next door to us. so its only a minute away. a few more mins down the road there is a mcdonalds, dairy queen, the grocery store and tons of other restaurants. I love living so close to everything. we can walk if we really wanted to.

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

1/2 mile to our nearest grocery store but i could spit out my window and hit a resturant, liquor store, gas station, and doughnut shop.

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Quoting Zazayam:

I used to live like that. I miss the peace and quiet, but I can walk to the store and that's amazing.

Yeah... we have a great home, stars at night, it's gorgeous and green... but man.

I have lived in a rural hell before, and while the commute was only a half hour, that place was so depressing.  Here, I have parks aplenty for the kids, peewee sports teams that practice/play here, the best schools in the area... just no dang shopping apart fom the corner drugstore, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured