Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Car accident and insurance settlements??? Take it or leave it?? EDIT TMI PICS ADDED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies

Poll

Question: Take it or leave it??

Options:

Take both and let it go?

Take yours and leave mom's

Take mom's and leave yours

Take neither and get a lawyer

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

Got into a car accident over a week ago.

Would have been worse had my mother not veered the car towards the right. Driver tore up the left side of the car before careening into a ditch on the opposite side of the road. My mother and I both went to the hospital due to her injuries *neck and back* and my facial injuries *rearview mirror glass shattered and got cut by it*

My hospital bill is $1,143.00. Insurance says they will pay the medical bill in full and give me $500.00 to settle. Take it or leave it?

With my mother her bill is almost $8,000.00 since she had an MRI to make sure nothing was broken. Insurance says they will pay medical bill in full and give her $700.00 to settle. Take it or leave it?

EDIT: EDIT: Forgot to add a few things. The vechicle was deemed a total loss HOWEVER looking at the damage it can be repaired. Right now it is sitting in a tow shop about 45 mins from here. The ins company finally got us into a rental car and said that if we don't settle we will have to forfeit the rental car.

That would not leave us completely stranded as we have one additional car which is small for the 5 of us but something is better than nothing. Here are pics of the van:

Does this look repairable to you??? *Not trying to get rich but without this van we can't really get around like we use to. We can only use the rental for a short amount of time.*

EDIT again:

Pic of other car that we have:

Also here is a pic of my facial injury before and after:

After:

So as you can I was injured as well as my neck and back are stiff as well as my legs hurting. I am more worried about my mother though because she is in a significant amount of pain and the pain killers don't last though. The ER doctor recommended physical therapy but with no medical insurance its $250.00 a session. We can't afford that.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Get a lawyer and follow his/her advice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Leave it and get a lawyer
Rbrown72707
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I've never been in that situation, but what if your Mom has other medical issues because of the back and neck injuries?  That seems like a really low amount.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a lawyer and follow his/her advice.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Mommy2b2many
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I'd leave it and get a lawyer

lindilouwho82
by Lindi on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Never take the first offer. Never.

When I worked as a personal injury lawyer, I met one too many people scared of what would happen if they did not take the first offer. Insurance companies will try to scare you into making rush decisions. In most states you have up to three years to make and or accept an offer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Get a lawyer. I got rear ended 12 years ago and got 3000.00. They wanted to give me 600.00 . I had lost time at work. So dh called a lawyer. Good thing cuz lawyer sent me to get checked out more and I had a herniated disk. He didnt let me settle till I was done with physical therapy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

bottom line, you're not gonna get rich jacking around with insurance companies and minor car accidents.  if it's the other people's insrunace that is offering you the money, tell them you want $1500 apiece because you missed work and had other inconveniences and things like that.  don't say pain & suffering because that's a completely different area of law and settlement, just tellthem you were out money and inconvenienced due to their clien'ts negligence.  they will probably counter office at $1000 each, settle & be done with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Contact a lawyer.

As someone else pointed out, don't accept the first offer.
They will up the amount if you decline.

I used to work in insurance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM

In my case, the woman who sued us got $20,000 five years after the fact.  It was all paid for by the insurance company, their lawyers handled the entire thing and did all the negotiations.  I didn't have a thing to do with it, they didn't want anything from us and they just sent us notices periodally saying it was postponed, it was still being negotiated, and so on.   It was from a wreck that our son had.  The reason it took 5 years is they were trying to get $100,000.  They wouldn't settle.  My insur. company refused to budge and offered $20,000 from the beginning.  Well they didn't want that, because the lawyer gets 50% of it.  So after 5 years, it was take it or leave it lady, we are not going to give you a dime over $20,000.  So she finally had to take it. 

Quoting lindilouwho82:

Never take the first offer. Never.

When I worked as a personal injury lawyer, I met one too many people scared of what would happen if they did not take the first offer. Insurance companies will try to scare you into making rush decisions. In most states you have up to three years to make and or accept an offer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)