Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So, I apparently "party" too much!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why people want to say that I party too much, but they won't say it to my face, they just make vague and condescending posts on facebook or talk about me behind my back.

I go to school full time and I work part-time. Almost ALL of my free time is spent with the kids except for 10pm to 2am on Wednesday nights (karaoke night, I like to sing) and the kids are ready for bed by the time I leave and I am back home way before they wake up. Yet, my SIL constantly talks about me behind my back because she thinks I party too much. My kids don't care that I go out on Wednesdays and DH is usually there with me when I go, so why should they even care? My SILS best friend always makes posts about moms who never grew up after they had kids and refuse to put their childish party days behind them.

My question is, WHERE in the parenting rule book does it say that mom and dad are NEVER supposed to have a night away from the house and kids? Oh, and its ok for DH to go and do what he wants to do, but if I go with him I am being "neglectful". She has made snide comments in front of me to MIL saying "I just don't understand why they spend money on going out and drinking when she should be at home. It costs more for her to go out too, why can't she just stay home and let him go by himself?".  MIL tells her to mind her own business...and what she doesn't know is that MIL comes out and hangs out with us sometimes!  

They aren't the only ones that say stuff, but they are the main ones. I just don't get what is wrong with what we do? We take the kids out at least a couple of times per week, we have family night a couple of nights a week, play card and board games with the kids, watch movies, take them to the splash park down the road...so WHY are we not allowed to have OUR time?!

Oh, and *GASP*! Sometimes, when we go out, we drink...sometimes its when the kids are away from home...if the kids aren't at home, when we get a buzz we turn on some Tool, turn the portable mirror light ball on in the room and get FREAKY! She would probably DIE if she knew that! LMAO!

I think people that have anything to say about parents that go out a night or two a week are jealous because they can't or won't do it themselves. End of story. SIL can bite my ass.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jarkrt
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Your SIL sounds jealous.
partingwhisp853
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM

nothing wrong with a mom night out. but are you getting ripped before coming home is my question?

rfhsure
by beast mode on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I smell what you're stepping in. My dad makes a comment to me every time I go out. I am at home with my son all day, ever day, all week. Once a week, I go out with my best friend for 4 hours, that's the longest I can handle being away from my son. And I only go then because my sons dad comes to visit him on weekends. It's the only chance I have to have time to myself, and I'm not comfortable doing it for long. I have not asked anyone to babysit him ever. I just try and get out when his dad comes, I think the alone time is good for the both of them and a few hours is refreshing for me. It kind of hurts my feelings that my dad comments on it to be honest. He words it like 'man you just go out every chance you get!'. It makes me feel guilty when he says it like that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she is, her and all of her snobby friends that she talks to me about too. I think it is because her DH always has his nights out and she never goes with him. She blows it off and says she doesn't go out because it is childish, but if she really thinks that way, then why is she married to a man that "acts like a child" in her opinion?

Quoting jarkrt:

Your SIL sounds jealous.

504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:09 AM
I hear ya.

I go out maybe once every 3 months. I put my kids to bed before I leave and am back before they wake up. But apparently that makes me a neglectful, terrible mother who never spends time with my kids lol

People are freaking nuts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:11 AM

I never get "ripped", but the amount of alcohol I consume all depends on what our plans are for the next day. If it is going to be an active day and I have to be up early I may only have a drink or 2.  If the kids are not there then I may have more to drink than I normally would and get a little tipsy. Honestly, I like sex too much to get plastered and just go home and pass out. LOL. DH and I always feel a little frisky when we get home from a fun night out.

Quoting partingwhisp853:

nothing wrong with a mom night out. but are you getting ripped before coming home is my question?

partingwhisp853
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:14 AM

i am a recovering alcoholic so its not my place to judge. however. sounds like you got it under control

Quoting Anonymous:

I never get "ripped", but the amount of alcohol I consume all depends on what our plans are for the next day. If it is going to be an active day and I have to be up early I may only have a drink or 2.  If the kids are not there then I may have more to drink than I normally would and get a little tipsy. Honestly, I like sex too much to get plastered and just go home and pass out. LOL. DH and I always feel a little frisky when we get home from a fun night out.

Quoting partingwhisp853:

I should know better, but here I am-Sati
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:14 AM

My dad used to say the same kind of things, but he realizes differently now when he came to stay with us for a couple of weeks (he lives out of state). It would hurt my feelings at times.

And I am the same way! Although I have a baby-sitter, after being out for a couple of hours I start thinking "are the kids ok? what if something happened and the sitter didn't get in touch with me?" and so on. And I find myself constantly checking my phone to see if I have texts or calls.

Quoting rfhsure:

I smell what you're stepping in. My dad makes a comment to me every time I go out. I am at home with my son all day, ever day, all week. Once a week, I go out with my best friend for 4 hours, that's the longest I can handle being away from my son. And I only go then because my sons dad comes to visit him on weekends. It's the only chance I have to have time to myself, and I'm not comfortable doing it for long. I have not asked anyone to babysit him ever. I just try and get out when his dad comes, I think the alone time is good for the both of them and a few hours is refreshing for me. It kind of hurts my feelings that my dad comments on it to be honest. He words it like 'man you just go out every chance you get!'. It makes me feel guilty when he says it like that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I know what you mean. I am pretty sure I had a problem with drinking about 12 years ago or so, but I was self-medicating because I had PPD and a divorce and didn't realize what the PPD was at the time. I literally woke up one morning and looked at myself in the mirror and said "things have got to change" and I stopped drinking. I got a little older and when I had my youngest (DD7) I went through PPD again and realized that is what was going on with me the first time, But for YEARS I didn't have a drink at all. DH and I just started going out again about 3 years ago because we felt our relationship needing boosting. We realized that when we get out once a week that it helps us A LOT!

I could never go back to the way I was then though...we can have alcohol in the fridge for months and we won't even touch it because we are not fans of drinking at home. I had Dos Equis and Redds Apple Ale in there that have been in there since March. 12 years ago, that wouldn't have lasted a few hours.

Quoting partingwhisp853:

i am a recovering alcoholic so its not my place to judge. however. sounds like you got it under control

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting partingwhisp853:

partingwhisp853
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:25 AM

word of caution. sounds like the possability for alcoholism is in you. and while a drink or two now and again doesnt seem bad. it can lead to a drink or two twice a week, three times a week. a box of wine to relax in the evening. and on and on. its slow and progressive. very sneaky.

just be very aware of your drinking habits. if it becomes a habit please get help

Quoting Anonymous:

I know what you mean. I am pretty sure I had a problem with drinking about 12 years ago or so, but I was self-medicating because I had PPD and a divorce and didn't realize what the PPD was at the time. I literally woke up one morning and looked at myself in the mirror and said "things have got to change" and I stopped drinking. I got a little older and when I had my youngest (DD7) I went through PPD again and realized that is what was going on with me the first time, But for YEARS I didn't have a drink at all. DH and I just started going out again about 3 years ago because we felt our relationship needing boosting. We realized that when we get out once a week that it helps us A LOT!

I could never go back to the way I was then though...we can have alcohol in the fridge for months and we won't even touch it because we are not fans of drinking at home. I had Dos Equis and Redds Apple Ale in there that have been in there since March. 12 years ago, that wouldn't have lasted a few hours.

Quoting partingwhisp853:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting partingwhisp853:

I should know better, but here I am-Sati
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN