Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the world coming to?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies

I worry about what kind of world we are providing for our children and their children.

I remember when I was a teen, it was shameful to get pregnant before you were finished with high school. It was shameful not only for the girl, but also for the parent(s).

Now parents will give their child everything. They will let their 15 yo do whatever/whoever she wants because they'd rather be the parents that the kid can come to about anything. Why then hell would you compromise with a 15 yo about dating, and not make her go on bc just because she said she wasn't going to have sex... obviously she changed her mind. Or did she want to get pregnant?

The same type of parents will drop their child off at a splash park to terrorize other patrons, children and adult alike. But if another parent dares to say anything, she is in the wrong? wth?

Let's teach our kids that is ok to have unprotected sex, or to run around bullying others. But heaven forbid the kids being bullied stand up for themselves.

Let's teach our kids that it is ok to be disrespectful of other adults by undermining a step-parent's authority, and then whine about the consequences.

While we're at it, let's try to negate consequences entirely. Tell the 15 yo it is ok to get pregnant and keep the baby. After all, what are grandparents for but to take responsibility for their baby's baby?

Tell the 7yo it is ok to spit on people, and to run amok. Wait til he's 15 and getting your precious snowflake preganant.

And let's spoil our kids rotten by giving them everything they even think they may want. And never, ever take those things away as a consequence. We are negating consequences, remember?

yea, I'm scared of what is going to happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

No one disagrees or agrees?

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Lol, statistically teen pregnancy is at its lowest rate in this country since the 70s. Otherwise, I agree with you. People are afraid to discipline their kids, or too lazy to do so. Everyone expects the everyone else to accommodate their children, no matter how poorly behaved their children are. It's ridiculous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM

That is exactly why the new generation is called Generation "ME"

I am working hard at not raising kids like that. I really don't care if my son complains that he is the only 11 year old without a cell phone. Nope not going to give him one. Among other things I see that parents just give in to. 

autodidact
by Snarknado on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM
3 moms liked this

funny, it never seems to be shameful for the BOY

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that most people are over reacting. I don't see these undisciplined children running wild all over the place. I rarely ever see children out of control in public.

As for the pregnancy. It is a cultural issue. Sex is evil and dirty until marriage and we make sure our children know that but nothing about sex, birth control or stds.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM

but it should be...

Quoting autodidact:

funny, it never seems to be shameful for the BOY

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I agree.  Children today are not taught basic things.

I happened to be pleasantly surprised with the boys on my 8yo baseball team this year.  They were a great bunch of boys.

TugBoatMama
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

What is wrong with your kids coming to you for thier problems? I was scared to talk to my parents about anything at all and I wasn't even a bad kid at all. But today my parents haven't slightest clue who I am as a person because I don't feel like I can come to them about anything. I want my kids to have the knowledge that I- their parent, care about thier direction in life and am willing to counsel them in any way I can to get them to where they want and need to be in life. To me that's not the same as coddling or trying to be your kid's friend. My kids are very aware of who runs things around here, but I would certainly hope that my kids won't feel the need to hide thier lives from me, because of a feeling of not being able to even be open with your own mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I think people are afraid to discipline because someone might call cps... that and the kid may not like them... *gasp*

there were times I didn't like my parents. but I survived and turned into a healthy member of society.

Quoting FoxFire363:

Lol, statistically teen pregnancy is at its lowest rate in this country since the 70s. Otherwise, I agree with you. People are afraid to discipline their kids, or too lazy to do so. Everyone expects the everyone else to accommodate their children, no matter how poorly behaved their children are. It's ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

kudos to you.

Parents do seem to be giving in more just to keep the peace. Sometimes I wonder who is the parent. smh

Quoting Anonymous:

That is exactly why the new generation is called Generation "ME"

I am working hard at not raising kids like that. I really don't care if my son complains that he is the only 11 year old without a cell phone. Nope not going to give him one. Among other things I see that parents just give in to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)