Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ohio School Bans Afro Puffs and Long Braids

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 136 Replies
1 mom liked this
http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/06/ohio-school-bans-afro-puffs-and-braids/

The Lorain Horizon Science Academy in Ohio is facing heat from the natural hair community after a copy of a letter to parents that included a ban on afro puffs and ‘small twisted braids’ was posted online.

The letter details changes to the dress code for the upcoming school year and includes the line:

Afro-puffs and small twisted braids, with our without rubberbands, are NOT permitted.

It’s unclear what the administration means by small twisted braids, but if they are referring to box braids they are banning a protective style that black girls have worn for generations. Afro-puffs are essentially the black version of the ponytail (when pulled back our hair puffs out instead of laying down), and yet the rules do not have a ban on ponytails for students of other ethnicities.

It’s unspecified whether this ban applies to both male and female students, or male students alone.

The dress code restrictions highlight an age-old struggle that naturals face from both within and outside of the black community. Our hair is viewed as radical, funky or unruly in its natural state, and restrictions are sometimes placed on us in academic and professional settings that do not extend to our non-black counterparts.

So far the school hasn’t issued a response or explanation of this dress code item.

What do you think ladies? Is this a fair restriction to include in the dress code? Why or why not?
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IFartGlitter
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Of course its jot fair. What options are they given? Flat ironing it? That's not healthy to do frequently. I'm white and is be protesting
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Bump!
Mena929
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Totally unfair IMO.

terpmama
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Not sure why the styles are being banned but if it a protective style (I assume from hair being damaged or broken) then not sure it would stand up in court... I can't imagine someone banning casts for example. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Wtf!?
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Seriously? Of all the things that could be banned, this is what the school district focuses on? Are they going to pay for products and treatments that will make hair more "manageable"? Of course not. Plus constant treatments and flat ironing will cause more damage to their hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
partingwhisp853
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

private school  correct? they have every right to dictate everything from hair to clothes. if the rule does not specify, logic would dictate its both men and women affected. 

BEXi
by BEXi on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yeah, that's not right.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Personally I like seeing AA women and girls having their hair natural I think it's pretty. I think the letter is bogus.
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Since it only applies to blacks I would go to school that way since I'm white under protest. I would get my nonblack friends to do it also. This is discrimination.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Of course its jot fair. What options are they given? Flat ironing it? That's not healthy to do frequently. I'm white and is be protesting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)