Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stop nursing. Seriously, stop.

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 144 Replies
3 moms liked this
Is what my doctor said to me today. My baby is 15 months old, and I have every intention of self weaning (within reason). I have been having some health issues, and her answer is to medicate me with pain pills. That's not what I want. I want answers as to why I am in severe pain every single day. Ugh.

At my last appointment, she suggested that I wean. She said "I mean look at her, she can feed herself". I wanted to pinch her then. She said my quality of life wouldn't get any better until I wean. I'm switching doctors :(
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Josie_P
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

That is ridiculous. My dd is 14 months old and her doctor encourages me to continue breastfeeding until she self weans.

MommeeTo4
by &1more on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM
4 moms liked this
Tell her to pipe the fuck down.

(Google jenna marbles, pipe the fuck down, and this will make more sense)
Eliots_momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM
10 moms liked this

I would switch drs. Even if you weren't nursing, i would want them to figure out the cause instead of treating the symptoms. 

I would continue on breastfeeding and seek a second opinion.

yourdoingwhat
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I bottle fed my kids but honey you keep doing what you feel is right! 15 months seems a bit young to me to stop bf. Now if your child was 3 y/o and your doctor said that I would have to agree but not at 15 months. And I would ask for a 2nd opinion or find another dr.

slm047
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Pain pills cover up the problem, not treat it.

On another note, I nursed dd until she weaned at 2.
staci1103
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Thats absurd!! There r many many medications for pain that r safe to take while nursing. I would look them all up and bring the list to a new dr.
emeraldangel20
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
21 moms liked this
i don't get why women would risk their health just because they want to say they breastfed for 200 years.
if your health is at risk, then take the damn doctors advice.there is no prize for breastfeeding.
eta: I'm all for breastfeeding, but not when you have health problems that are mysterious to you. nursing isn't worth all that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
4 moms liked this
Weed.
partingwhisp853
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

definitely switch to a dr who supports child led weaning. what a dingbat you dealt with

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM
6 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)