Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

kid book recommendations!

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 75 Replies
My two oldest kids are huge readers. But i am getting to an awkward time with their reading. My soon to be second header is reading at a sixth/seventh grade level and my about to be fourth grader is at an eighth/ninth grade reading level.

I want to get books that will challenge them and help them grow but i don't necessarily want my seven year old reading books aimed at sixth graders. And i definitely don't need my nine year old picking up a copy of twilight.

We are currently reading the Percy Jackson series together and i have all of the Harry potters. Does anyone have any great book suggestions that would challenge them while still being age appropriate?

Thanks!
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Bumping for the morning crowd. Recommendations please!
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this
The Charlie Bone series
The Illmoor Chronicles
43 Old Cemetary Road series
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Goosebumps
The Lost Books
The Chronicles of Narnia
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Hoot
Holes
Bridge to Terabithia
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I just looked at our bookcase and grabbed some titles...lol.
socalmom3girls
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM
It would depend on what you want to focus on. If you want to work on comprehension and fluency than you can get books that are at a lower level. Have them work on inference and comparing characters within books and across books. There are so many ways to use lower level books for educating kids.
Melmac7819
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I always recommend that kids read fiction that is appropriate for their maturity level, but to read nonfiction that is challenging. Take them to the library to check out nonfiction that interest them. Good luck and happy reading!
mesfilles
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
My 8 year old likes the American Chillers and Michigan Chillers series. She just read Coraline and is starting on the Goosebumps series. Animorphosis series, Little house on the prairie, Hg Wells, Secrets of Droon, Chronicles of Narnia, Diary of a Wimpy kid and I just got her the first Harry Potter book. We go to the library regularly. Just be careful because it's hard to tell what's appropriate once you get into the chapter books.

Boxcar children, magic treehouse, american girl, junie b. Jones, fearstreet, the secret garden are a few others she was into last year.
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
The Oz series by L. Frank Baum
white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Lord of the Ring , the wizard of Oz , Friends of Rubert ,  

QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I really enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia books when I was a kid. I want to say I read them somewhere between 4th/5th grade.

Don't do Diary of a Wimpy kid if you can avoid it - those books are horrid. =/

Since they're such avid readers - maybe try to throw in some non-fiction, poetry, short stories. Some good historical fiction might be good for the older child, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Thanks! We have a few of those. I'm a little worried about bridge to terabithia. I cried my heart out when I read that. But a good cry over a book is good for the soul I guess.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

The Charlie Bone series

The Illmoor Chronicles

43 Old Cemetary Road series

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Goosebumps

The Lost Books

The Chronicles of Narnia

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Hoot

Holes

Bridge to Terabithia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN