Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

kid book recommendations!

Posted by   + Show Post
My two oldest kids are huge readers. But i am getting to an awkward time with their reading. My soon to be second header is reading at a sixth/seventh grade level and my about to be fourth grader is at an eighth/ninth grade reading level.

I want to get books that will challenge them and help them grow but i don't necessarily want my seven year old reading books aimed at sixth graders. And i definitely don't need my nine year old picking up a copy of twilight.

We are currently reading the Percy Jackson series together and i have all of the Harry potters. Does anyone have any great book suggestions that would challenge them while still being age appropriate?

Thanks!
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Replies (71-75):
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM
I know! I'm forgetting that I asked for the kids and now apparently I'm just padding my own reading list!

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Aww nostalgia with all these books I read as a kid

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Yeah we first read him when we lived in Texas. He was at a book store promoting his percy jackson books. He also wrote the Kane Chronicles. Its about the Egyption gods instead of the Greek Gods. We think they are going to tie Percy, Annabeth, and Grover into the stories.

Quoting mommaponch:

I really love Rick Riordan so far. Wash to read without being dumbed down

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Read the Kane Chronicles. Its kinda a spin off of the Percy Jackson series.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot of books are actually a much higher level than parents think. My second graders love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, but they are actually a 5th grade level in text complexity. See if you can find out your child's Lexile level. You can search for books in that range. Might help.
MyahsMom
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM
My 4th grader reads at a high level too. She just got done doing a book report on The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell. She has also reads the Theodore Boone books, which is a mystery series written by John Grisham for young readers. Out of my Mind and So B. It, are two books that I loaded on her kindle as well. Kindle has great book suggestions for that reading level while not being too mature in content. Good luck!
nomadbrat83
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I loved Little Men and Little Women when I was 9. I loved Laura Ingalls, nancy drew, baby sitters club, bobsey twins, boxcar kids, etc when I was 7.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)