Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

interesting. carseat related.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had always been told the law was to rearface until 1 year and 20 pounds.
I just moved to Texas and was looking up carseat laws. And it states rearfacing until 35 pounds!
Any other states like this?
O and the child must be restrained unto 8 years or 4ft9.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/safety-laws.php
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM
If car seats are installed correctly and children are restrained properly, they are very much safer than just letting them sit in a seat with a seatbelt around them (or worse with no seatbelt).
Unfortunately there are many kids in carseats with too loose of straps, CHEST clips down to their bellies, old expired carseats, infants facing forward, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....
xredstarsx
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Just bend his knees. That doesn't mean he doesn't fit. It is 500% safer to rf as long as possible.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

This may be a stupid question....forgive me, because I honestly do not know....

My son is 13 months, 22lbs, and he is still rear facing, but his legs aren't going to fit much longer, sometimes I take his shoes off....

So my question is, when they start to become squished and meet the minimum requirements, is it safe to forward face him??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Long legs are not unsafe. There's a bigger risk of breaking legs while FF than there is while RF. It's safer to keep him RF.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

My son is 13 months, 22lbs, and he is still rear facing, but his legs aren't going to fit much longer, sometimes I take his shoes off....

So my question is, when they start to become squished and meet the minimum requirements, is it safe to forward face him??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM
So like criss-cross style?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound stupid, LOL

Quoting xredstarsx:

Just bend his knees. That doesn't mean he doesn't fit. It is 500% safer to rf as long as possible.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

xredstarsx
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM
That's what my dd did but even propping them on the back of the seat is fine.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

So like criss-cross style?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound stupid, LOL

Quoting xredstarsx:

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

It has changed recently I think

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Car seat laws are not a one size fits all. Every state is different. This is why you should always keep updated on the most current law for your state.
AMRios
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

My 3 year old is rear facing and I can assure you he is taller then your 13 month old... Teach him to sit Indian style... 

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Your opinion doesn't change the laws or the fact that carseats are tested and proven to save lives. Same as wearing a seat belt for adults. My FIL lived through a horrible accident because he wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car but do you see me letting my kids go anywhere without a carseat or myself without buckling up? No. Proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives. I'd rather my kids be banged up or bruised up than dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Never said to change the laws, just that sometimes they are not all they are cracked up to be. If you knew me you would know that I go no where without putting my kids in their carseats and buckling up myself, even if it is just a hop skip and jump away. Yes SOMETIMES proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives, but not all the time.
Quoting Anonymous:

Your opinion doesn't change the laws or the fact that carseats are tested and proven to save lives. Same as wearing a seat belt for adults. My FIL lived through a horrible accident because he wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car but do you see me letting my kids go anywhere without a carseat or myself without buckling up? No. Proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives. I'd rather my kids be banged up or bruised up than dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN