Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

interesting. carseat related.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had always been told the law was to rearface until 1 year and 20 pounds.
I just moved to Texas and was looking up carseat laws. And it states rearfacing until 35 pounds!
Any other states like this?
O and the child must be restrained unto 8 years or 4ft9.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/safety-laws.php
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
It goes by state. Infant car seats only go to 20 pounds or so, so I think that its just smarter to start out with a convertible car seat that you can use from infancy. That way you only have to buy one. I have one that goes from 0 pounds to 60.
Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

They have been changing for awhile now. 

The AAP started suggesting 2 yrs and 30 pounds 3 to 5 yrs ago. 

Yes, boostering should happen far longer than it does in many cases. The adult seat belt needs to fit them properly to stay safe. 

I have a 10 yr old that is still in a LBB.....

Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

It goes by state. Infant car seats only go to 20 pounds or so, so I think that its just smarter to start out with a convertible car seat that you can use from infancy. That way you only have to buy one. I have one that goes from 0 pounds to 60.

Newer infant seats are going to 35# and I think one might be on the market beyond that. 

I know around 6 months, I just started taking him out of the seat and carrying him.

If I wasn't in a bad weather area, and he had been a spring/summer baby I would have only gone with a good convertable. But an October baby, and Upstate NY winters don't go well together (no snow suits in the car seats, remember?)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I have heard that. When I had my youngest last February the car seats I could find were all 20-25 pounds.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting kailu1835:

Newer infant seats are going to 35# and I think one might be on the market beyond that. 

I know around 6 months, I just started taking him out of the seat and carrying him.

If I wasn't in a bad weather area, and he had been a spring/summer baby I would have only gone with a good convertable. But an October baby, and Upstate NY winters don't go well together (no snow suits in the car seats, remember?)

cowgirlsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Dmv.org is not an official site. No state has a law requiring rear facing beyond a car seat's minimum requirements. That being said, forward facing a 1yr old weighing 22lbs isn't safe. Laws are outdated minimums not the safest practice.
My 3yr old is still rear-facing and my 7 1/2yr old is nowhere close to getting out of her booster.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

We like our kids safe in Texas:)

Graco Smart Seat

Night_Roane
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM
I thought it was 1 yr OR 35lbs?
CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I believe colorado matches Tx, maybe not on rfing but but def the rest.

ashleybgarcia
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
No. Squished legs are fine. My four year old bends his knees and crosses his legs. There are no documented cases of broken legs on rf children, but there are for ff.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

This may be a stupid question....forgive me, because I honestly do not know....

My son is 13 months, 22lbs, and he is still rear facing, but his legs aren't going to fit much longer, sometimes I take his shoes off....

So my question is, when they start to become squished and meet the minimum requirements, is it safe to forward face him??

lydias_mommy12
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I just checked my states requirements and Georgia actually recommends rear facing until age 3! Yay for Georgia!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN