Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

interesting. carseat related.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had always been told the law was to rearface until 1 year and 20 pounds.
I just moved to Texas and was looking up carseat laws. And it states rearfacing until 35 pounds!
Any other states like this?
O and the child must be restrained unto 8 years or 4ft9.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/safety-laws.php
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

In some instances you are right, carseats are not always safe. I have a friend that lost  her 2 year old daughter in a car accident. How?  They couldn't get her out of her carseat and she ended up drowning.  She had absolutely no injuries to her little body.

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Wow....

The things people believe...

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....

michiganmom5150
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
MI is the same for the booster seat. Other is 1 and 20
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

The site you listed is a privately owned site, use this one instead 

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/carseat.htm

It is the actual site by the state of Texas. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
There are a bunch of infant seats that go until 35 lbs - some 40 lbs...

Sometimes local selections are limited and you need to find them online...

Quoting kailu1835:I have heard that. When I had my youngest last February the car seats I could find were all 20-25 pounds.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:Quoting kailu1835:It goes by state. Infant car seats only go to 20 pounds or so, so I think that its just smarter to start out with a convertible car seat that you can use from infancy. That way you only have to buy one. I have one that goes from 0 pounds to 60.Newer infant seats are going to 35# and I think one might be on the market beyond that. I know around 6 months, I just started taking him out of the seat and carrying him.If I wasn't in a bad weather area, and he had been a spring/summer baby I would have only gone with a good convertable. But an October baby, and Upstate NY winters don't go well together (no snow suits in the car seats, remember?)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Why is that a bad thing? Hmmm? And its not just something that I believe its something I know. Yes carseats/boosters are there to keep children safe, but in several instances that just isn't the case.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow....

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM
In what messed up opposite world do you live in troll? What are you talking about "sometimes"? If I remember correctly its around 75% of fatal car crashes the occupants were not properly restrained..

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said to change the laws, just that sometimes they are not all they are cracked up to be. If you knew me you would know that I go no where without putting my kids in their carseats and buckling up myself, even if it is just a hop skip and jump away. Yes SOMETIMES proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives, but not all the time.
Quoting Anonymous:

Your opinion doesn't change the laws or the fact that carseats are tested and proven to save lives. Same as wearing a seat belt for adults. My FIL lived through a horrible accident because he wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car but do you see me letting my kids go anywhere without a carseat or myself without buckling up? No. Proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives. I'd rather my kids be banged up or bruised up than dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Freak things can happen. A person could choke on a banana - doesn't mean bananas are unsafe.

Car seats and boosters overwhelmingly protect children and save many, many, many lives every year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is that a bad thing? Hmmm? And its not just something that I believe its something I know. Yes carseats/boosters are there to keep children safe, but in several instances that just isn't the case.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow....

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I am so very sorry! That brought tears to my eyes. As many accidents as I have seen you would think that I would be numb to it by now. But everytime I am called, and see something like that; sometimes I have to step away.......
Quoting Anonymous:

In some instances you are right, carseats are not always safe. I have a friend that lost  her 2 year old daughter in a car accident. How?  They couldn't get her out of her carseat and she ended up drowning.  She had absolutely no injuries to her little body.

Quoting Anonymous:

villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

my dd is only 35 lbs at four. i dont know how i would even physically squeeze her into a rear facing seat lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)