Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

interesting. carseat related.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had always been told the law was to rearface until 1 year and 20 pounds.
I just moved to Texas and was looking up carseat laws. And it states rearfacing until 35 pounds!
Any other states like this?
O and the child must be restrained unto 8 years or 4ft9.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/safety-laws.php
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Statistically speaking they are safe and save lives the majority of the time. These types of accidents are tragic BUT can be prevented with the use of a seat belt cutter. Anyone who uses the few cases where it failed at keeping someone safe as a way to get out of buckling up (or saying seat belts/carseats aren't safe or save lives) is stupid and is likely going to die in an accident themself.

Quoting Anonymous:

In some instances you are right, carseats are not always safe. I have a friend that lost  her 2 year old daughter in a car accident. How?  They couldn't get her out of her carseat and she ended up drowning.  She had absolutely no injuries to her little body.

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....

MommyO2-6631
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I think that's a great thing! In TN it's still ONE AND 20. Then ff in a five point until FOUR AND FORTY. Then in a booster until 8 AND 4'9". My seven and a half year old is only 4'1" so he will have to stay in his booster for a while to come. Probably until ten or eleven.
MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
This!

Laws are finally catching up with best practice recommendations.

All children should rear face until at least 2 years old and 30 pounds, but ideally as long as possible.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

That is typical now. In our state it is still 1 and 20 by law but recommended 2 and 40, they must be restrained until they are 8 years old regardless of size.

I think our law here in VA isn't high enough. It should be more about size than age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I am not a troll. I am a volunteer firefighter and volunteer first responder. I am talking about the wrecks/crashes I have seen/responded too and helped care/comfort parents/relatives that have lost a loved one or child.
Quoting Anonymous:

In what messed up opposite world do you live in troll? What are you talking about "sometimes"? If I remember correctly its around 75% of fatal car crashes the occupants were not properly restrained..

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said to change the laws, just that sometimes they are not all they are cracked up to be. If you knew me you would know that I go no where without putting my kids in their carseats and buckling up myself, even if it is just a hop skip and jump away. Yes SOMETIMES proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives, but not all the time.
Quoting Anonymous:

Your opinion doesn't change the laws or the fact that carseats are tested and proven to save lives. Same as wearing a seat belt for adults. My FIL lived through a horrible accident because he wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car but do you see me letting my kids go anywhere without a carseat or myself without buckling up? No. Proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives. I'd rather my kids be banged up or bruised up than dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Never said they didn't.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Freak things can happen. A person could choke on a banana - doesn't mean bananas are unsafe.

Car seats and boosters overwhelmingly protect children and save many, many, many lives every year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is that a bad thing? Hmmm? And its not just something that I believe its something I know. Yes carseats/boosters are there to keep children safe, but in several instances that just isn't the case.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow....

The things people believe...

Quoting Anonymous:

wilson88
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

in New Mexico you have to have your kid rear facing till they are 2!

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM
So then your point is?????

You "don't think they are that safe".. Good luck with that theory.

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said they didn't.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Freak things can happen. A person could choke on a banana - doesn't mean bananas are unsafe.

Car seats and boosters overwhelmingly protect children and save many, many, many lives every year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is that a bad thing? Hmmm? And its not just something that I believe its something I know. Yes carseats/boosters are there to keep children safe, but in several instances that just isn't the case.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow....

The things people believe...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Lol Good thing you're anonymous, that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM
He can't bend his legs?

Quoting lovemyairman150:

This may be a stupid question....forgive me, because I honestly do not know....

My son is 13 months, 22lbs, and he is still rear facing, but his legs aren't going to fit much longer, sometimes I take his shoes off....

So my question is, when they start to become squished and meet the minimum requirements, is it safe to forward face him??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Just because you have responded to a lot of fatal accidents doesn't make them the majority or the statistic.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not a troll. I am a volunteer firefighter and volunteer first responder. I am talking about the wrecks/crashes I have seen/responded too and helped care/comfort parents/relatives that have lost a loved one or child.
Quoting Anonymous:

In what messed up opposite world do you live in troll? What are you talking about "sometimes"? If I remember correctly its around 75% of fatal car crashes the occupants were not properly restrained..

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said to change the laws, just that sometimes they are not all they are cracked up to be. If you knew me you would know that I go no where without putting my kids in their carseats and buckling up myself, even if it is just a hop skip and jump away. Yes SOMETIMES proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives, but not all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your opinion doesn't change the laws or the fact that carseats are tested and proven to save lives. Same as wearing a seat belt for adults. My FIL lived through a horrible accident because he wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car but do you see me letting my kids go anywhere without a carseat or myself without buckling up? No. Proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives. I'd rather my kids be banged up or bruised up than dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN