Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

interesting. carseat related.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had always been told the law was to rearface until 1 year and 20 pounds.
I just moved to Texas and was looking up carseat laws. And it states rearfacing until 35 pounds!
Any other states like this?
O and the child must be restrained unto 8 years or 4ft9.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/safety-laws.php
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Statistically speaking they are safe and save lives the majority of the time. These types of accidents are tragic BUT can be prevented with the use of a seat belt cutter. Anyone who uses the few cases where it failed at keeping someone safe as a way to get out of buckling up (or saying seat belts/carseats aren't safe or save lives) is stupid and is likely going to die in an accident themself.

Quoting Anonymous:

In some instances you are right, carseats are not always safe. I have a friend that lost  her 2 year old daughter in a car accident. How?  They couldn't get her out of her carseat and she ended up drowning.  She had absolutely no injuries to her little body.

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....

MommyO2-6631
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I think that's a great thing! In TN it's still ONE AND 20. Then ff in a five point until FOUR AND FORTY. Then in a booster until 8 AND 4'9". My seven and a half year old is only 4'1" so he will have to stay in his booster for a while to come. Probably until ten or eleven.
MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
This!

Laws are finally catching up with best practice recommendations.

All children should rear face until at least 2 years old and 30 pounds, but ideally as long as possible.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

That is typical now. In our state it is still 1 and 20 by law but recommended 2 and 40, they must be restrained until they are 8 years old regardless of size.

I think our law here in VA isn't high enough. It should be more about size than age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I am not a troll. I am a volunteer firefighter and volunteer first responder. I am talking about the wrecks/crashes I have seen/responded too and helped care/comfort parents/relatives that have lost a loved one or child.
Quoting Anonymous:

In what messed up opposite world do you live in troll? What are you talking about "sometimes"? If I remember correctly its around 75% of fatal car crashes the occupants were not properly restrained..

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said to change the laws, just that sometimes they are not all they are cracked up to be. If you knew me you would know that I go no where without putting my kids in their carseats and buckling up myself, even if it is just a hop skip and jump away. Yes SOMETIMES proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives, but not all the time.
Quoting Anonymous:

Your opinion doesn't change the laws or the fact that carseats are tested and proven to save lives. Same as wearing a seat belt for adults. My FIL lived through a horrible accident because he wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car but do you see me letting my kids go anywhere without a carseat or myself without buckling up? No. Proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives. I'd rather my kids be banged up or bruised up than dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Never said they didn't.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Freak things can happen. A person could choke on a banana - doesn't mean bananas are unsafe.

Car seats and boosters overwhelmingly protect children and save many, many, many lives every year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is that a bad thing? Hmmm? And its not just something that I believe its something I know. Yes carseats/boosters are there to keep children safe, but in several instances that just isn't the case.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow....

The things people believe...

Quoting Anonymous:

wilson88
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

in New Mexico you have to have your kid rear facing till they are 2!

Kris_PBG
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM
So then your point is?????

You "don't think they are that safe".. Good luck with that theory.

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said they didn't.
Quoting Kris_PBG:

Freak things can happen. A person could choke on a banana - doesn't mean bananas are unsafe.

Car seats and boosters overwhelmingly protect children and save many, many, many lives every year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is that a bad thing? Hmmm? And its not just something that I believe its something I know. Yes carseats/boosters are there to keep children safe, but in several instances that just isn't the case.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow....

The things people believe...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Lol Good thing you're anonymous, that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM
He can't bend his legs?

Quoting lovemyairman150:

This may be a stupid question....forgive me, because I honestly do not know....

My son is 13 months, 22lbs, and he is still rear facing, but his legs aren't going to fit much longer, sometimes I take his shoes off....

So my question is, when they start to become squished and meet the minimum requirements, is it safe to forward face him??
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Just because you have responded to a lot of fatal accidents doesn't make them the majority or the statistic.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not a troll. I am a volunteer firefighter and volunteer first responder. I am talking about the wrecks/crashes I have seen/responded too and helped care/comfort parents/relatives that have lost a loved one or child.
Quoting Anonymous:

In what messed up opposite world do you live in troll? What are you talking about "sometimes"? If I remember correctly its around 75% of fatal car crashes the occupants were not properly restrained..

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said to change the laws, just that sometimes they are not all they are cracked up to be. If you knew me you would know that I go no where without putting my kids in their carseats and buckling up myself, even if it is just a hop skip and jump away. Yes SOMETIMES proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives, but not all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your opinion doesn't change the laws or the fact that carseats are tested and proven to save lives. Same as wearing a seat belt for adults. My FIL lived through a horrible accident because he wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car but do you see me letting my kids go anywhere without a carseat or myself without buckling up? No. Proper usage of carseats and boosters saves lives. I'd rather my kids be banged up or bruised up than dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured