Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

interesting. carseat related.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had always been told the law was to rearface until 1 year and 20 pounds.
I just moved to Texas and was looking up carseat laws. And it states rearfacing until 35 pounds!
Any other states like this?
O and the child must be restrained unto 8 years or 4ft9.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/safety-laws.php
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (91-96):
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Actually, in the state of VA, persons over 16 years old in the back seat do not need to wear one. Anyone in the front seat must, and anyone under 16 must always be restrained.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought everyone was to be restrained all the time regardless of age or size.

isn't that what seatbelts are for?

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Agreed. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya, I think Idaho needs to get with the program. I have a 7 year old and there is no way he is big enough to sit on a regular seat. I love living in Idaho, just wish they would do better on the carseat laws. />
Quoting ImNotKarl:

I was looking at the Idaho Health and Welfare site. Turns out you're right. Good to know. :)

My oldest is only 2.5, so I haven't had to know until today. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Umm actually in Idaho they only have to be in a booster until they are 6 years old, not 8. Says so on the Idaho.gov website. http://www.itd.idaho.gov/ohs/ChildSafety/mostimportantpoints.htm Idaho’s New Child Restraint Law Idaho Code 49-672 Most important points: Kids 4 to 6 years old need to be in belt positioning booster seats once they’ve outgrown their child safety seats. New law is effective on July 1, 2005. Primary law, $60.00 fine. As a general rule of thumb, never place a child in under 13 years of age in front of an air bag. The following are a list of guidelines to be used when selecting an appropriate child safety restraint: Children under 1 year of age MUST be in a rear facing infant seat with/without removable bases. Children 1 year old to 4 years (typically 20 to 40 pounds) a forward facing child safety seat is recommended with harness straps positioned on the child’s shoulders, complete with a harness chest clip positioned at the armpit level, and in the upright position (not reclined), and always in the rear seat of the vehicle. Children ages 4 to 6 MUST be in an approved booster seat, using both lap and shoulder belts, NEVER with lap belt only. The seat should be located in the rear vehicle seat, facing forward while the lap belt is positioned across the top of child’s thigh and the shoulder belt should be centered across the shoulder and chest.
Quoting ImNotKarl:

In Idaho, children from infancy to 1 year old and 20 pounds must be rear-facing, in a 5-point harness car seat from 1-4 years and 40 pounds, and a booster seat from 4-8 years and are 4'9" tall. That being said, we plan to rear-face to 35 pounds and 2 years, and keep the 5-point until the 55 pound weight limit is reached before switching to a booster seat.

My tummy had the rumblies that only hands could satisfy.
IFartGlitter
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I'm glad I don't live in Texas. 

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I don't go by minimums. My children will be rearfaced until they outgrow the limits for their seats. My 41 inch tall daughter is still rearfacing and she will continue to be until she either hits 45 pounds or 44 inches tall. My kids are more important to just barely squeak by.

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:03 AM
I live in Idaho too and I don't pay attention to this crap. My children rearface to the max and will harness to the max. My kids are too important to me to barely squeak by.
Quoting ImNotKarl:

Agreed. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya, I think Idaho needs to get with the program. I have a 7 year old and there is no way he is big enough to sit on a regular seat. I love living in Idaho, just wish they would do better on the carseat laws. />
Quoting ImNotKarl:

I was looking at the Idaho Health and Welfare site. Turns out you're right. Good to know. :)

My oldest is only 2.5, so I haven't had to know until today. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Umm actually in Idaho they only have to be in a booster until they are 6 years old, not 8. Says so on the Idaho.gov website. http://www.itd.idaho.gov/ohs/ChildSafety/mostimportantpoints.htm Idaho’s New Child Restraint Law Idaho Code 49-672 Most important points: Kids 4 to 6 years old need to be in belt positioning booster seats once they’ve outgrown their child safety seats. New law is effective on July 1, 2005. Primary law, $60.00 fine. As a general rule of thumb, never place a child in under 13 years of age in front of an air bag. The following are a list of guidelines to be used when selecting an appropriate child safety restraint: Children under 1 year of age MUST be in a rear facing infant seat with/without removable bases. Children 1 year old to 4 years (typically 20 to 40 pounds) a forward facing child safety seat is recommended with harness straps positioned on the child’s shoulders, complete with a harness chest clip positioned at the armpit level, and in the upright position (not reclined), and always in the rear seat of the vehicle. Children ages 4 to 6 MUST be in an approved booster seat, using both lap and shoulder belts, NEVER with lap belt only. The seat should be located in the rear vehicle seat, facing forward while the lap belt is positioned across the top of child’s thigh and the shoulder belt should be centered across the shoulder and chest.
Quoting ImNotKarl:

In Idaho, children from infancy to 1 year old and 20 pounds must be rear-facing, in a 5-point harness car seat from 1-4 years and 40 pounds, and a booster seat from 4-8 years and are 4'9" tall. That being said, we plan to rear-face to 35 pounds and 2 years, and keep the 5-point until the 55 pound weight limit is reached before switching to a booster seat.

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM
There are several seats that go beyond 35 pounds. A lot of them go up to 40. Diono Radians go up to 45. Those are the seats that I have. The Clek Foonf goes to 55.
Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting kailu1835:

It goes by state. Infant car seats only go to 20 pounds or so, so I think that its just smarter to start out with a convertible car seat that you can use from infancy. That way you only have to buy one. I have one that goes from 0 pounds to 60.

Newer infant seats are going to 35# and I think one might be on the market beyond that. 

I know around 6 months, I just started taking him out of the seat and carrying him.

If I wasn't in a bad weather area, and he had been a spring/summer baby I would have only gone with a good convertable. But an October baby, and Upstate NY winters don't go well together (no snow suits in the car seats, remember?)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN