Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Never going to the hospital again.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

$4,774.53 is apprently what it costs to see if you have appendicitis.

A couple of weeks ago I woke up with some serious pain in my lower right abdomen.  I waited all day and it didn't get better.  I went to urgent care, the doctor there said "I have a feeling you have appendicitis.  I don't like to send people to the ER, but you need a CT scan."

I went to the ER, had the CT and thankfully it was normal, I was sent home and felt better the next day.  I knew that because I had a CT scan the bill would be high.  I wasn't expecting $3,227.53.  Holy crap.

Then, today, I get a bill from the radiologist ($447) and the ER physician ($1,100).

Insurance for our family is $500 a month.  Can't afford it.  But we make too much for Medicaid.  So none of us are ever going to the hospital again lol.

I'm really grateful I didn't need surgery.  But how does anyone afford this?!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I know right?! I had a miscarriage a few years back, I went in to get checked out.....They did some blood tests and gave me ONE mortin. I sat in the room for 8hours. The bill I received was $1800! The ONE MORTIN cost $50 alone! Needless to say I went in to have a little chat with them, Afterwards I didn't have to pay but $800 of it, thank goodness!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I have a bad story too, but not as bad as yours.  I went into the hospital to have something looked at, it wasn't anything big but it wasn't going away and I needed it treated right away.  Well anyway, the doctor looks at me for no even five minutes, gets it wrong, and sends me on my way.  The five minutes I saw her cost me $100.  I never go unless it's dire.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM

That's terrible!

I am so happy I am in Canada.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I'm sorry for your loss :(  I had an ectopic pregnancy a few years ago.  We had insurance at that time, but I still owe money for it. 

I guess the hospital has a program to write off all or a portion of the bill.  I'm applying for it.  Hopefully the physicians will have something similar or are okay taking very small payments. 

I'm glad you ended up with a much lower bill!  It's so frustrating.  Even if we round up and say these doctors spent an hour of their time with me and on my case, that means they are getting paid $447 and $1,100 per hour, respectively.  I'm gonna go ahead and say that's ridiculous.  I could understand up to $300 from each, but $447 and $1,100?!  Eff you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know right?! I had a miscarriage a few years back, I went in to get checked out.....They did some blood tests and gave me ONE mortin. I sat in the room for 8hours. The bill I received was $1800! The ONE MORTIN cost $50 alone! Needless to say I went in to have a little chat with them, Afterwards I didn't have to pay but $800 of it, thank goodness!

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM

The ER is insanely expensive without insurance.  That is why I can't understand all the moms on here jumping up and running to the ER over every little thing.  Go to urgent care or your primary doctor-and save the ER for emergencies.  Be sure to try to negotiate with the hospital over those fees-I doubt they charge the insurance companies that much.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I find myself more and more in favor of "socialized medicine" every time someone in my family is sick or needs medical care lol.  Might just decide to move to Canada!  Is it awesome?

Quoting danie24:

That's terrible!

I am so happy I am in Canada.

CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I heard a mum say about 6 stitches for her son costing $400!! yikes. Im so glad to live here in Aus when it comes to healthcare

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I would give up on a lot of extras before I would EVER go without health care. What do you do for your children?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I completely agree!  I waited all day and then went to urgent care first.  I can't imagine going for something that was not potentially life threatening.  And now probably not even then.  "Terrible car accident?  Nah, I'll splint my arm and pick the glass out of my face myself, thanks."  "Oh, you have congestive heart failure?  Guess it's time to put a down payment on a casket." lol.

Quoting chalisa0:

The ER is insanely expensive without insurance.  That is why I can't understand all the moms on here jumping up and running to the ER over every little thing.  Go to urgent care or your primary doctor-and save the ER for emergencies.  Be sure to try to negotiate with the hospital over those fees-I doubt they charge the insurance companies that much.  

risaspieces
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I avoid one of our hospitals because of an issue we had with dh going there. He collapsed at home and was wheezing when he breathed so I called 911, he came to ( kind of) before they got there and said he felt like he was dying. I told the emt that who relayed to the hospital staff that he was an attempted suicide.

Dh was then held for 72 hours and told he couldn't see anyone. He didn't see a doctor until he was discharged. They were trying to charge us 7000$ for him to be held against his will. The ambulance ride was a separate charge ( which I paid), but we fought the hospital bill.

We filed a ton of complaints about the situation and were told they did nothing wrong. -__- so glad we have another hospital now
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN