Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8YO Girl Dead- Yes I Blame the Mother

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:35 AM
  • 802 Replies
7 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Should the mother be held accountable to some extent?

Options:

Yay

Nay

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1919

View Results

Here's your story in clicky form.

Cry me a river if this has been covered in the last 24hrs. :P

Here's the story for those who want to just read it here:

The body of 8-year-old Charish Lilly Perriwinkle was discovered near a church in Jacksonville, Fla. around 10 a.m. Saturday, Jacksonville.com reported.

Perriwinkle was abducted from a Walmart in Jacksonville at around 11 p.m. Friday.

Donald James Smith, a registered sex offender, has been arrested and charged with murder, according to Action News Jax.

Police have not commented on the cause of Perriwinkle's death.

Perriwinkle's mother told police that Smith had befriended her and her daughter atWalmart on Friday night, then disappeared with the girl after saying he was going to take her to the store's McDonald's for a snack.

Smith, 56, was previously convicted of attempted kidnapping and lewd and lascivious assault on children. Police tracked down Smith's van driving on I-95 in Jacksonville at around 9 a.m. Saturday. They have not said whether or not Smith led them to the girl's body.

UPDATE: Initial reports suggested that Charish Perriwinkle's mother allowed her daughter to go to McDonald's with Donald James Smith. The mother has now told Action News Jax that she did not realize Smith left with the girl.

I'm sorry but how stupid can you be to allow your child to take off with some random person (man OR woman!?) that you've 'befriended' all of MAYBE 1 hour ago? We all know the world is not this perfect little place full of ice cream and sprinkles. NO this child didn't deserve to die. And what she went through I do not even want to think about. I hope she didn't suffer.

And I'm sure mommy dearest is grieving and kicking herself right now. And she should be kicking herself. This isn't victim blaming. If it were, I'd be blaming that beautiful little girl. But her mother's stupidity signed, sealed and DELIVERED her daughters death wish. Yes, I think the mother should be held liable for neglect AT LEAST.

What say you?

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:38 AM
44 moms liked this
In another report he befriended them at a grocery store and he bribed them with a shopping trip at Walmart?

Idk... I blame her as well... To the extent of having charges pressed against her? No... She made a fatal mistake... Her punishment will ensue till the day she dies...
southernwldchld
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:40 AM
32 moms liked this
Did she fuck up? Yes, so badly.

I can't imagine the grief and guilt she has. But I think that is punishment enough. I feel jail time would let her off. Being punished would feel right and having to live a normal life day to day would be so much worse to me.
crumpy_gat
by No. on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:43 AM
24 moms liked this
Omfg I blame her too.

Legally though I don't think parents should be charged, that fucking prick shouldn't be out to begin with! Awful!
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:44 AM
4 moms liked this

I very much agree. 

Quoting crumpy_gat:

Omfg I blame her too.

Legally though I don't think parents should be charged,
that fucking prick shouldn't be out to begin with! Awful!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:48 AM
31 moms liked this

Im actually just learning about all this.  But am I reading this right?  She met this guy at a walmart.  She didn't know him prior to meeting him at the walmart.  He buys them clothes.  And then she just lets the girl take off with him?

Like I said, Im only just now learning about this.  But if this is the case, then I would think the mother should be looked at also, and possibly be charged.  Is there any info on the mom?  Like is she on drugs, does she have a record?  I mean how can a mom just let their child go off with a stranger.  And its strange that he took them shopping.  This does not add up.  There has to be more going on here than what they are letting on.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the mom was apart of this some how. 

Maybe it was drug related, or money related.  Like she sold her daughter to this guy for money, and he was supposed to bring her back.  But when she didn't hear back from them, she panicked and called the cops.  I read in an article that they were at walmart in the late afternoon, and the mom did not call the police until 11pm?

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:54 AM
9 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Im actually just learning about all this.  But am I reading this right?  She met this guy at a walmart.  She didn't know him prior to meeting him at the walmart.  He buys them clothes.  And then she just lets the girl take off with him? 

I heard a different report that they met at a dollar store and he offered to buy the girl clothing and what have you at WalMart because the mother was financially strapped. They went to WalMart and then this. Regardless- she hardly knew the man. I'm sorry- with as fucking BROKE as I am and in desperate need of necessities, I would NEVER do this. You want to help us? Cool- there are good people in the world.You want to take my child out of my eyesight? You're not THAT cool. NO.

Like I said, Im only just now learning about this.  But if this is the case, then I would think the mother should be looked at also, and possibly be charged.  Is there any info on the mom?  Like is she on drugs, does she have a record? I have no clue. I mean how can a mom just let their child go off with a stranger. I'm trying to figure it out for myself.And its strange that he took them shopping. I'd say 'read above explanation' but even so... This does not add up.  There has to be more going on here than what they are letting on.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the mom was apart of this some how. I wish I could disagree with you, but I can't.

Maybe it was drug related, or money related.  Like she sold her daughter to this guy for money, and he was supposed to bring her back. This could be the case. I've heard about this happening before. But when she didn't hear back from them, she panicked and called the cops.  I read in an article that they were at walmart in the late afternoon, and the mom did not call the police until 11pm? I did not know this portion. I'll have to look it up- but yes, that makes it all the more suspicious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:56 AM
5 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Im actually just learning about all this.  But am I reading this right?  She met this guy at a walmart.  She didn't know him prior to meeting him at the walmart.  He buys them clothes.  And then she just lets the girl take off with him?Like I said, Im only just now learning about this.  But if this is the case, then I would think the mother should be looked at also, and possibly be charged.  Is there any info on the mom?  Like is she on drugs, does she have a record?  I mean how can a mom just let their child go off with a stranger.  And its strange that he took them shopping.  This does not add up.  There has to be more going on here than what they are letting on.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the mom was apart of this some how. 

Maybe it was drug related, or money related.  Like she sold her daughter to this guy for money, and he was supposed to bring her back.  But when she didn't hear back from them, she panicked and called the cops.  I read in an article that they were at walmart in the late afternoon, and the mom did not call the police until 11pm?

Legally there must be intent to prove that the mother wanted harm to come to her daughter... I think she's poor (or else why be ok wih shopping at Walmart for clothes) had a lapse in judgement (I would never do that in a million years) and it cost her the ultimate price... Everything will be investigated thoroughly.. The man has already been charged but I'm hoping they don't stop there and fully check out the mom
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:59 AM
I heard the report and looked at DH and said "wth. Why would anyone do that?" But we had a case here where a woman allowed a neighbor to babysit her child that she just met and he was a registered sex offender and he beat the child to death after he raped her.
TheMetal
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:04 AM
14 moms liked this

I blame the man for killing the little girl.

I partially blame the Mother for not using her noodle in this situation. I would consider it to be common sense not to allow your child off with a stranger like that but common sense isn't so common anymore now is it...?

sirinme94
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:04 AM
11 moms liked this

I agree with this. It does sound suspicious.  I'd like to learn more about the mom too. I once had a friend whose mom was a druggy and pimped my friend out to guys when she was 13 for drugs and money. I can see this woman probably met this guy somewhere else, or online. She needed some money and he was looking for little girls.  I can see them making an arrangement to meet each other at the store, and he bought them some clothes and then when they were done he probably took of with her.  Mom probably realized something was wrong when they didn't show back up and realized she better call the police.  This is the only thing that makes sense to me. This happens all the time, usually people don't know about it. I wouldn't have known if my friend wasn't put in that situation. I would be shocked to hear anything different.

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said, Im only just now learning about this.  But if this is the case, then I would think the mother should be looked at also, and possibly be charged.  Is there any info on the mom?  Like is she on drugs, does she have a record?  I mean how can a mom just let their child go off with a stranger.  And its strange that he took them shopping.  This does not add up.  There has to be more going on here than what they are letting on.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the mom was apart of this some how. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured