Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For all of you who are complaining about dogs - just a thought. *EDIT*

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 51 Replies
6 moms liked this

Please stop buying puppies or getting dogs and complaining about how they are soooo much trouble. If you are not prepared for the work that comes with a dog, don't get one. They chew things, they poop in the house sometmes, they bark, they get out and run off,  they cost money to feed and require trips to the vet. Animals are a lifetime commitment, not just a plaything when they are cute little puppies. Read up, ask questions, get prepared and expect the unexpected.

Yes, I am a crazy dog person. I am active in rescue and I love all animals. I have three boys and three dogs.

Just for the record, venting is one thing, we all do it. Hell, I was listening to my husband bitching about our 8 month old pup this morning, (he gets in to everything) but it is the women who are saying how much they hate their dogs and the lady who wants to KILL her 9 week old puppy because it is acting like, GASP, a puppy. Complain away, it is just the unrealistic expectations that get to me. I mean, really, a 9 week old puppy is housetrained? Really? Hell, my 8 year old son is still not totally housetrained. Dogs will be dogs, if you aren't educated and prepared for the responsibility, don't get one. Get a fish. Or a cat. Or a plant. Just not an animal who needs lots of love and attention.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RJC78
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

BUMP!

rosie211
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I have a neighbor who got a puppy (now full grown) and they leave it outside in a kennel 99% of the time. No interaction, it's just so sad. He used to whine when he was little, but he is quiet now. I think he is just a sad, depressed dog now :( :(

Sekirei
by Nari on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Agree. When I was doing my externship for dog training, there were so many people that were unprepared for the dogs that a few of them ended up at my teacher's house and they never picked them up.
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I love my pain in the ass dog :) Sure, she's a bucket full of trouble sometimes but no one's perfect. She's our fur-ever (lol) dog.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I agree with you.  They are a lot of work and responsibility.  Not everyone is a good pet owner,therefore not everyone should own them. I have a cat/dog, and love them.(messes and all)

aidensmomma12
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I agree. I have a beagle that is 3 years old. I rescued him from people who were abusive in October. When we first got him he had seperation anxiety to the point where he would destroy things as soon as we left (we went out to dinner once and left him our room. He started trying to dig a hole in the floor and popped our air mattress trying to climb out the window). He was work, but I wouldn't have gotten him if I wasn't prepared for him
SJG1013
by SJG on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM
4 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

CelestialSong
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Why not complain about dogs sometimes? Don't we all complain about our kids sometimes? Our husbands? Jobs? Lives? I definitely agree that you shouldn't get a dog without being prepared, but that doesn't mean you should never ever complain when your dog does something annoying. Even the most well educated owner of the most well trained dog will probably encounter something they find complain-worthy with their dog.

1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you 100%. That being said, sometimes the best dog owners need to vent too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN