Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why I put my children in carseats/boosters and will do so until they are too big

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 30 Replies

I have three children and twin girls on the way.

My oldest is 11. He is much too tall for a carseat or booster which makes them unsafe. So he sits in the middle seat in the 3rd row of our car. The middle seat has what all the other seats have, a shoulder AND lap belt. My 7 and 6 year old are in boosters, not high back because my kids run on the tall side, and the high backs are too short. The boosters have the little black piece that makes the belt fit better, and they again have shoulder and lap harnesses. My babies not born yet, will be in a really great carseat that goes up to 35 pounds and are one of the best out there for preemies and the carseat group here told me about. With twins odds are my little ones will be preemies.

And I will call on your ass if I see you with your kids bouncing around a car without any seatbelts or boosters or anything and they are little. I did this once. A lady had her 2 year old in the car, no nothing, he was RUNNING around the back of the car, back and forth with her driving. She did get pulled over a couple of blocks later.I had called 911 with the road we were on, which way we were traveling, and her license plate.

Why?

1. I don't want your dead child on my conscience. If I pass you in five blocks and your kid is lying on the concrete, I will never forget it or forgive myself for not calling 911.

2. You all talk about how years ago no one wore seatbelts. Well guess what? People DIED back than a lot more than they do now.

And 3. I will never forget it. I was 9. My dad was driving me home from some school play or some other school activity. When we saw it. A man, lying on the ground, the car had been hit by a truck. His legs were gone, and he was bleeding profusely. People, just people who saw it, asking cars for towels or blankets to hold on his legs. They were waiting for an ambulance. We stopped our car, my dad jumped out to help with some blankets he had in the trunk. The man was screaming incoherently. Just screaming, and my dad tried to talk him, calm him down. The window was down, dad was out there trying to help. The man finally looked at my dad, screamed my son! WHERES MY SON?! Son? My dad looked in the car thinking maybe the kid was in there, no there was no kid in there. My dad and some of the others looking, he was a little ways down a ravine, bloody broken gone not breathing not alive. I remember my dad telling the man it would be okay, but he was lying. I could tell he was lying. He took a blanket they weren't using on the man's legs, and placed it over the boy, who was dead, bleeding from everywhere. The boy was probably only 3 or 4 at the most. No carseat or belt because well back then we didn't use them. I had never been made to wear one, but after that day my dad made me wear it all the time, and started wearing his. I didn't find out until years later about them finding the boy, about my dad placing the blanket on him, and why I was suddenly made to wear my belt, and why my dad, who had NEVER bothered before started wearing his.

If you want to see your child like that, you want to take that chance, go ahead. But if I see you I will report you. Your child should mean more to you than the cost of a carseat, or proper booster. And btw, you can even get free or low cost ones. Your little ones should mean enough to want to ensure their safety.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashgreymane
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I suggest you ask a cop about safety and car seats, car boosters. When a child is too big for one, it's actually unsafe for them to be placed in it. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Cool. I guess you expect that you will be told off for telling other parents what to do but to each their own.

HappyMorgana
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM

My kids are still small enough to be in them. That is why my 11 year old is NOT in one and I said that. Looks like you don't read well. My 7 and 6 year cannot be in a high back booster, but can be in the regular boosters. So they are. Just not the high back ones.

Quoting Ashgreymane:

I suggest you ask a cop about safety and car seats, car boosters. When a child is too big for one, it's actually unsafe for them to be placed in it. 

HappyMorgana
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Geez, how big is your 6-year-old? I don't know any who are too big for a high back booster.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Feel better now?
HappyMorgana
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM

He and my 7 year old are extremely thin but very, very tall. I just to worry about their weight because they are toothpicks but the doctor says some kids are just tall and thin. :) People mistake my 6 and 7 year olds for like 10 year olds cause of height.

Quoting Anonymous:

Geez, how big is your 6-year-old? I don't know any who are too big for a high back booster.

1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Me too. I'm not going to chase people down but I want people to be safe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM
And now that you've gotten that off your chest how do you feel.

And you do realize that carseat laws vary state to state? So which ones are you following?
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

My father is a pediatric surgeon who does hours in the ER each week. Hes seen kids who weren't wearing seatbelts, who were in the wrong seat so they slipped out or suffered damage because of it, who had their entire core just crushed because they were in a belt far before they were ready simply because "they're tall enough" "they weigh enough" "I'm not some overprotective parent, I don't want them to get teased", I will never risk that with my child. Your two younger ones should actually still be in a high back regardless of height, its not just height but bone structure and posture that matter. My six year old is still in a five point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN