Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone have a failure to thrive child with NO symptoms or problems?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter has been FTT since 6 months or younger. She has had myriads of tests done, and everything comes back normal. Her GI doctor is at the end of her rope, and she's been cleared from Endocrinology as well.I was wondering if anyone else is having problems also. I've met other FTT kids, but they also had other medical concerns, like being a preemie or heart problems. She is going to see Genetics next month and I am still wary of whether this is a good decision. I'm 5'4, 130 pds. Dh is 5'11 and around 155.Our dd is 2.5 yrs and 24 pds. So, naturally, we do checkups JUST to check her weight and to have her pediatricians keep up with it....to reassure us, nothing is wrong.We have tried carnation breakfast mixes, crazy straws (to help with milk intake, making a game of it), we tried follow up formula, we have tried Pediasure, when she was 1 and dr's took her off of it, because she refused to drink it, NOW, they are putting her back on it....and i am know she won't drink it...and am desperate for ways to hide calories in her foods!! She does get vitamin supplement. I am thinking it may be a behavioral issue at this point, but who knows?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Replies (11-14):
Pita369
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM
She could just be tiny... Our dd is 14.5 months and just about 20lbs, but tall...almost 30 inches... The pedi isn't too concerned because she's always been in the 10-15 percentile in weight and 70-75 percentile in height.. As long as she doesn't drop dramatically in weight she's fine... Pedi said she will prolly be tall and skinny.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Middle DD was labeled FTT at age 3 with no other symptoms. She was and is not FTT. She has a slow bone growth issue. At 11 1/2 she has the bones of an 8 year old. She is 4'6" and 64 lbs. She has always been petite and will most likely be around 5 feet tall as an adult and just tiny. 

We did the Pediasure thing as well. Did not do anything for her. High calorie diet? Nope. Not a thing. When we moved back home and could get her to the pediatrician she had had since birth he told us to take a deep breath and quit worrying. She was going to be the size she was meant to be and as long as she was healthy in every other way and above 4'9" as an adult there was nothing that needed to be done. 

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM

In general, FTT is inadequate weight gain and poor physical growth...any other 'symptoms' are related to not getting adequate calories, not the FTT itself, kwim?

Quoting ceckyl:

No, because ftt is not characterized by slow weight gain alone. If a child is a slow gainer, but healthy in every other aspect, they are not ftt.

ceckyl
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM
A ftt baby would not reach milestones, be alert, ect. A baby who is just petite is not ftt. Also, the average earring gain for an infant is one pound per month. Doctors often expect a lot more, and are happy to throw baby on the ftt wagon.

Quoting LucyMom08:

In general, FTT is inadequate weight gain and poor physical growth...any other 'symptoms' are related to not getting adequate calories, not the FTT itself, kwim?

Quoting ceckyl:

No, because ftt is not characterized by slow weight gain alone. If a child is a slow gainer, but healthy in every other aspect, they are not ftt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)