Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SSI for a child-no bashing please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

My son has ADHD, Autism, Tourettes Syndrome and PDD-NOS. He is 8 years old as has a lot of problems. I applied for SSI for him after I lost a job because of getting so many phone calls from his school to come and get him but he was denied. We appealed and have been waiting forever for a hearing and now we have one for Aug 26th. I am currently working full time and I make 12.75 per hour but at the end of July my hours will decrese to 32 hours per week due to having to take him to multiple medical appointments. I need to know.................if he is approved will we even get anything based on my pay? I am not a lazy mom I just need some help. I have 2 other children as well and I am doing this on my own. My ultimate fear is loosing my job again because of having to be there to deal with his needs. Please no bashing only advice. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I have never dealt with this, but good luck.  It sounds like you deserve to be getting a little help.  I don't know the process, but I wonder if it would be helpful to list all medications, appointment copays, medical trip expenses, and such in a very detailed way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

where is his dad?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

If he is in special education, why are they calling you all the time to pick him up?  I work in special ed classes a lot and they deal with inappropriate behavior all the time and don't call the parents?  Is he in special ed? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM

not involved. 

Quoting Anonymous:

where is his dad?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Talk to case worker. My dd recieved SSI but I dont know how it waa figured out. Just glad we received it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Yes he is in special ed and we just moved to a new school district this past year. This school is much better but there are times I have to leave to get him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If he is in special education, why are they calling you all the time to pick him up?  I work in special ed classes a lot and they deal with inappropriate behavior all the time and don't call the parents?  Is he in special ed? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

IF eligible, you should get something.  it may not be a lot, though 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

You don't make much money, so that should not be an issue as far as getting approved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Did you work? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Talk to case worker. My dd recieved SSI but I dont know how it waa figured out. Just glad we received it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes he is in special ed and we just moved to a new school district this past year. This school is much better but there are times I have to leave to get him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I am surprised they call you all the time. Honestly, I have seen the teachers put up with a lot(including physical violence, etc) as they are trained to deal with those issues. It seems that you need help, hopefully you will qualify for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN