Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Biracial children and family members racist comment...

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 69 Replies

I am white and my sons father is Puerto Rican.  We were together for ten years but I left him in April.  I am pretty postive he cheated on my and he is very controlling and abusive.  I had enough, but this is a man that I love dearly.  I did not leave him because I do not love him, I left because I was tired of all of the drama and it was hurting my children.  I have a 13 year old son and together we share a 5 year old son.  

I moved 5 hours away from my SO and now live near my brother.  I have been feeling really lonely and isolated.   

My father passed away one year ago yesterday and me and my brother got into an arguement because he took my 13 year old sons bike that my dad gave to him and put the handle bars onto his sons bike.  My son was not using the bike, but still.... my brother did not even ask me if he could do that and I wanted the bike in one peice.  There is nothing wrong with it, it just has two flat tires.  Anyway I was upset that he did this and on the anniversary of my dads passing just made it worse.  

I called my mom to vent and she in turn went and called my brother because he really upset me.  Yelling and cursing at me because I said how I felt.  So, he also yelled at my mom and somehow brought my sons father into it and called him a SPIC.  

I am upset he said this, one because I still love this man and two because my son is Puerto Rican also.  Is feeling offended an over reaction????  Should I say something or leave it alone and let it pass.  Basically I have been hiding in my house since yesterday.  What do I do or say???  Please help me, I am a mess.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jj4ij
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't blame you for being offended, my daughters father is Arab, my family has made so many racist comments. It makes me sad because my child is that race. I wouldn't want people calling her those names.

And if your ex is controlling and abusive, he doesnt deserve your love. I understand, but its true.

jj4ij
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Thank you, but what do I do or say????  Should I just leave it alone?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't blame you for being offended, my daughters father is Arab, my family has made so many racist comments. It makes me sad because my child is that race. I wouldn't want people calling her those names.

And if your ex is controlling and abusive, he doesnt deserve your love. I understand, but its true.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I would not be okay with that at all. And I would say something to him about it.

2 of my daughters are hispanic/white and the third will be black-white. DH's brother calls them halfbreeds and it pisses me off. I finally told him he's not welcome around my family if he wants to say racist things. Good luck!
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
My SO is black and w have a child together. I don't get offended
SJG1013
by SJG on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I would be pissed.
jj4ij
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM

What do I say???  Remember I am all alone out here, I don't know anyone except my brother and his family.  If I piss him off, then what for me???  I feel like I need to stay quite or isolate myself more.  But truthfully I am really upset about it.  Is that what he is thinking when he looks at my baby?  Any suggestions on what I can say to him?  I have to prepare otherwise I may say something I regret.  Suggestions?

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

I would not be okay with that at all. And I would say something to him about it.

2 of my daughters are hispanic/white and the third will be black-white. DH's brother calls them halfbreeds and it pisses me off. I finally told him he's not welcome around my family if he wants to say racist things. Good luck!

nelliesmommy
by prettyandpierced on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm happy you finally left. I remember your post. I would say something to him about it. Your child is half puerto rican, it isn't right, he should keep ignorant stuff to himself.

jj4ij
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I am and I am hurt.  I am already very sensitive.  Do you have any suggestions as to what to say?

Quoting SJG1013:

I would be pissed.

jj4ij
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I left him in April.  I am having a very hard time here.  I am very alone and in a strange place.  The only people I know here are my brother and his family.   My brother is very ignorant and hurtful.  I can't help but wonder now if every time he looks at my son that is what he is thinking.

Quoting nelliesmommy:

I'm happy you finally left. I remember your post. I would say something to him about it. Your child is half puerto rican, it isn't right, he should keep ignorant stuff to himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)