Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Healthy meal ideas on $40 for 2 weeks?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
You have $40 for 2 weeks worth of groceries. Not on food stamps. How do you turn $40 for 14 days into healthy meals for a family of 3? Just hypothetical.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonandon
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM
No clue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I couldn't do it on $40 I don't think..we do $50 every two weeks usually. We eat meat maybe once a week..and DH and I usually skip lunch and breakfast. We buy lots of fruits and veggies for DD..which isn't that expensive really..ten bucks goes a long way in the produce dept. Look for coupons and store sales. Unless you grow/can most of your own food..I don't think you can make all 3, healthy meals a day for a whole family on that budget.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:01 AM

that's cutting it REALLY tight.

Try salad and sandwiches.

hit the farmer's market and barter for a bunch of lettuce and tomatoes.  You'll probably want to make repeat trips so stuff stays fresh.

get a big bag of flour and make bread every couple days.  'splurge' on some sale deli meat (turkey's usually cheapest).  rotate between turkey, cheese and peanut butter sandwiches

also be really, really careful to mind your portion sizes.  that's where most of the grocery budget is wasted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Why even include ' no foodstamps ' .....smh

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Rice and beans.
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Lunch meat is so expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

hit the farmer's market and barter for a bunch of lettuce and tomatoes.  You'll probably want to make repeat trips so stuff stays fresh.

get a big bag of flour and make bread every couple days.  'splurge' on some sale deli meat (turkey's usually cheapest).  rotate between turkey, cheese and peanut butter sandwiches

also be really, really careful to mind your portion sizes.  that's where most of the grocery budget is wasted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I can get a pound of turkey for as low as $1.25 when the right sale comes around.  If they only have it every few days, a pound can last them the whole 2 weeks

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Lunch meat is so expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Egg salad sandwiches with carrot sticks

eggs and oatmeal

bean burritos and rice

whole chicken = 2 meals, add frozen veggies the first night, and potatoes, make a chicken noodle soup the second

potato soup (add carrots and celery)

ground turkey - cut into two meals - either a casserole of some sort or mix with rice or potatoes and gravy or spices I guess

lentil soup

....well, what's that? 9 or 10 meals?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I WISH...We spend $400 in 2 weeks for 2 adults , a 5 yr and a 2.5 yr -_- I really cannot help you but GOOD LUCK!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN