Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT CM doctors! - Daughter's 1st gyno appointment

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM
  • 11 Replies
I took my daughter to the doctor in March because of abnormal persistent bleeding. He perscribed her birth control and salicylic acid, and by May it was under control and she began having regular periods. The doctor said that this is only a temporary fix to the problem and he was referring her to a gynecologist in order to figure out why this was happening. My daughter made a remark, "It better not be a GUYnocologist, I really don't want a guy poking around down there" in hopes that the doctor would refer her to a female gyno. We got a call from the office saying that her appointment is on Tuesday, and of course the doctor is male. There's nothing we can do about it and she knows it, but she is still uncomfortable and very nervous because we are both totally in the dark about what's going to happen.

If any of you have gone through this or even if there are any doctors in this group (which would be awesome!), what should she expect for her first appointment? Is there anything she should do before? How can I make her feel better about it?

EDIT: Just clarifying, my question is NOT what to expect from a male doctor, just what to expect at a first gynecologist appointment regarding abnormal bleeding.
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonandon
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Doctors are doctors regardless of gender. The best gynecologist I have ever had was a man.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:32 AM
How old is she?
rjsmommy214
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM
I went to the gyno for the same reason at 14. They just put me on bc and it became regular. Never had to to get checked beyond that.
MommySwiggles
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Most male gynos will give you the option of having a female (nurse or PA) present. Just remind her that he is a professional and is there to help, not make her uneasy. I had a male gyno with my first son and he was the most wonderful doctor. I don't have enough good things to say about him. He never made me uncomfortable, it was never awkward and he genuinely cared about his patients.
CheeseLouise
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:34 AM
That is true, my OBGYNs have been male as well. She's 17 and self-conscious, and the thought of an older guy looking at her "downstairs" is scary to her and I get that.

Quoting Anonandon:

Doctors are doctors regardless of gender. The best gynecologist I have ever had was a man.

CheeseLouise
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM
She turned 17 in May.

Quoting unsuspected:

How old is she?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I had a guy for mine the first time I went. I simply asked for a woman and my mom asked and explained why, and they just changed it to a woman doctor. You can request any doctor you want.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Aren't you a woman? Have you not been to a gyno before?

I've had both male and female gynos, and...they do the same thing.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM
My first ob was male. I don't have much advice.
CheeseLouise
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM
The male-female thing wasn't the point of the post, I was just asking if anybody knows what kind of things to expect for a gyno appointment regarding abnormal bleeding.

My OBGYN appointments have been for pregnancy, which is not the same as hers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Aren't you a woman? Have you not been to a gyno before?

I've had both male and female gynos, and...they do the same thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)