Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you let your kids watch this...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 532 Replies
1 mom liked this
Spongebob!

Dh and I have been debating about this. Ds has been watching it for years, he's now 7. Yesterday we were going to the beach and ds says we should get a ticket to go to bikini bottom. Dh was floored and couldn't believe that came out of his mouth and said WHAT? Ds said that is where spongebob lives and said it would be cool if he could go there in real life.

Just a little info on our family. We have very strong religious beliefs, and monitor what he watches and listens to. we dress conservatively and won't go to beaches/pools when there are people there, usually early in the morning is the normal time for us, so that way we are not surrounded by half naked people. I know it's impossible to avoid completely, but we try to avoid it when we can. We also don't drink, smoke, swear,etc and don't surround ourselves with people that do. I don't care if people choose to live other ways and respect their decision, it's just not the way we choose to live.

Anyways, DH doesn't want him watching it anymore, as there are episodes that he was already not allowed to watch because of content, but now because the town is called bikini bottom. He said it's not appropriate. To me it's not a big deal, and the decision has been left to me to make ugh. I feel bad for ds if we take away all his spongebob dvds (dh will replace it with something else), because he's been watching it so long and really enjoys it.

So my question is..... I've noticed a lot of moms won't let their children watch this show, can you give me your reasons as to why you feel it's not appropriate? Maybe I'm missing something.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight91
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd's watched it, my dh watched it with them half the time..lol

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM
3 moms liked this

I just thought it was annoying. 

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM

but funny at the same time..spongebob's laugh would grate on my nerves

jenaree
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Luckily my 3yo is only into PBS shows (Cat in the Hat, Thomas, etc) and I don't have to deal with Nickelodeon yet. I enjoy Spongebob myself so I would probably let her watch it so I could watch it with her! LOL!

Bekki
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

My ds5 loves it, but I had to ban it, at least temporarily because I found that he acts bizarre after watching it. Gets all hyper, imitates the voice and actions, and generally just gets really obnoxious. I didn't have an issue with it otherwise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
My seven year old watches it. But I've heard rumors it was originally intended to be an adult only show. So your dh has issues with your child naming articles of clothing? Lol
jenaree
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM
7 moms liked this

I don't think that actual name of the town "Bikini Bottom" is inappropriate. People wear bikinis, it's at the bottom of the ocean, bikinis have a bottom piece. Your son is 7 and you can't keep him holed up forever. I understand not wanting him to see g-strings and thong bikinis but you can't hide the whole concept from him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM
we have watched it too, and I find it strange that he wouldn't know the name of the town. I know it's been mention before, but I think it actually hit him this time because ds brought it up in a regular real life situation.

Quoting starlight91:

My dd's watched it, my dh watched it with them half the time..lol

momofjkkc
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Ds (11yrs) doesnt watch it. But thats because he doesn't like it. He says it's stupid.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM
5 moms liked this

No, it is banned from my home. I don't feel anything that is said is appropriate and there are more educational things that they can watch. If my jaw drops because of something said on a show they are watching, they are no longer allowed to watch the show.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)