Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IMO Its a Little Rude if a Child

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

says,"Hi" to an adult and they hear them and don't speak back. Especially a small child. Honestly I think its rude if anyone speaks to someone and they don't speak back but especially a young child. I guess I was just brought up this way and I live in a generally hospitable place so I'm used to being greeted by strangers half the time and the opposite. Lately though in stores, etc I've seen children(including my toddler) speak to adults and aduts purposely ignore them. Granted we all have our days and I can understand not wanting to say hi to the same kid 3 times but I wonder how small children feel when they greet someone and there is no greeting in return?

Very interesting viewpoints. I definitely learned something with this post... And like I said previously I'm guessing that the various feelings etc on this topic are based on upbringing and location. Some of you are saying that carrying on conversations or following strangers trying to speak to them is rude, I agree. But I don't believe a simple hello is. I was taught that to say hi is polite but to not wander away with a stranger or interrupt conversations, busy people, etc. My son is recently 2 so at this age I think busy is a concept he doesn't get yet but I'll keep trying to teach him that. And I'll also be teaching him that everyone does not want to talk.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (21-30):
PhoenixV
by PhoenixV on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

This, although I will say hi usually. I however, do not want my kids randomly going up to strangers and saying hi.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

The little kids can learn a life lesson. Not everyone wants to chat. Maybe the person is deaf. Maybe they are a sex offender who is not allowed to speak to kids. Maybe they just don't want to talk and wish to be left alone.

And no, while I'm studying in the adult section of the library I do not want to say hi to your child, even if I do hear them. I'm ignoring them so they go away.

Its best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. - Anne Baxter

Jerzeemom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
6 moms liked this

We were eating at a cafe and the mom let her toddler wander from table to table. He made it to our table and tried to climb onto my lap, she stood there smiling...sorry but I wasn't amused. I gve her a dirty look, moved my chair and told him "no". She ran up, grabbed him and muttered "bitch". Whatever... not cute.

Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I always smile and say hi to small kids. They're alway interested in my daughter strapped to me in the moby. So I always try to get her to smile at them.
Everyone eats it up.
casah4
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this
I've had instances where a child has said hi and I said hi back, then the mom gave me a dirty look and reprimanded the little one for talking to strangers. You just can't win.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't let dd bug people, but she's in that stage where she waves and says hi to everyone she passes while sitting in the shopping cart. I understand people want to be left alone sometimes, but even if I'm in a bad mood or a hurry, I'll say hi to a small child. You don't even have to stop what you're doing to say it. Idk, I was also taught that you speak when spoken to, even a child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM
9 moms liked this
OMG! Talk about poor parenting!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree! My 1 year old threw chicken at a couple once that wouldn't say hi back (they were behind him in his high chair) he said hi atleast 5 times they didn't answer so he took the chicken and threw it. I would never not say hi to a little kid, that's sad. Even before I had my own

Anonymous
I don't expect anything from people anymore... That's how jaded this world has become
Anonymous
9 moms liked this

You should've scolded him before it got to the chicken throwing stage.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree! My 1 year old threw chicken at a couple once that wouldn't say hi back (they were behind him in his high chair) he said hi atleast 5 times they didn't answer so he took the chicken and threw it. I would never not say hi to a little kid, that's sad. Even before I had my own

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Yeah, I hate when people don't speak back when a kid says hi.
Eliots_momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM
4 moms liked this
I always acknowledge someone who speaks to me. I think it is rude ignoring anyone who speaks to you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured