Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

IMO Its a Little Rude if a Child

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

says,"Hi" to an adult and they hear them and don't speak back. Especially a small child. Honestly I think its rude if anyone speaks to someone and they don't speak back but especially a young child. I guess I was just brought up this way and I live in a generally hospitable place so I'm used to being greeted by strangers half the time and the opposite. Lately though in stores, etc I've seen children(including my toddler) speak to adults and aduts purposely ignore them. Granted we all have our days and I can understand not wanting to say hi to the same kid 3 times but I wonder how small children feel when they greet someone and there is no greeting in return?

Very interesting viewpoints. I definitely learned something with this post... And like I said previously I'm guessing that the various feelings etc on this topic are based on upbringing and location. Some of you are saying that carrying on conversations or following strangers trying to speak to them is rude, I agree. But I don't believe a simple hello is. I was taught that to say hi is polite but to not wander away with a stranger or interrupt conversations, busy people, etc. My son is recently 2 so at this age I think busy is a concept he doesn't get yet but I'll keep trying to teach him that. And I'll also be teaching him that everyone does not want to talk.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM
8 moms liked this

I think it's rude for parents to let their children wander around and bother strangers,  not everyone wants to talk to your precious little babies!

tardistraveller
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM
13 moms liked this

the people were clearly uninterested, why would you allow him to pester them and then throw food? Seriously?

Quoting Anonymous:

Scolded him for saying hi?

Quoting Anonymous:

You should've scolded him before it got to the chicken throwing stage.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree! My 1 year old threw chicken at a couple once that wouldn't say hi back (they were behind him in his high chair) he said hi atleast 5 times they didn't answer so he took the chicken and threw it. I would never not say hi to a little kid, that's sad. Even before I had my own

Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM

we can learn a lot from rude behavior and poor choices that others make

that does not mean that they are not rude

Quoting illinoismommy83:

The little kids can learn a life lesson. Not everyone wants to chat. Maybe the person is deaf. Maybe they are a sex offender who is not allowed to speak to kids. Maybe they just don't want to talk and wish to be left alone.

And no, while I'm studying in the adult section of the library I do not want to say hi to your child, even if I do hear them. I'm ignoring them so they go away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't hear anyone so I never say go back unless I know they have said hi by waving their hand at me.
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't want people saying hi to my kids it gets them on a roll and the conversation never ends and its always about some reference to video games that most people don't get.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Don't stand behind my kids high chair and he won't bother you

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree! My 1 year old threw chicken at a couple once that wouldn't say hi back (they were behind him in his high chair) he said hi atleast 5 times they didn't answer so he took the chicken and threw it. I would never not say hi to a little kid, that's sad. Even before I had my own

DvlDogWfe
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I agree with you on this. I will say a "hello" back in passing if a young child says "Hello" first, but I keep on walking. I have had expieriences like the one you are telling and it's not right for the parent to allow this, in fact, it's uncomfortable really. If my child tries this, I will tell him to leave people alone, there is a thing as personal space. I would think this is a valuble life lesson to start teaching at a young age.

Quoting Jerzeemom:

We were eating at a cafe and the mom let her toddler wander from table to table. He made it to our table and tried to climb onto my lap, she stood there smiling...sorry but I wasn't amused. I gve her a dirty look, moved my chair and told him "no". She ran up, grabbed him and muttered "bitch". Whatever... not cute.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I don't see the big deal.  I say high back.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM
So don't stand there behind him, simple as that

Quoting tardistraveller:

the people were clearly uninterested, why would you allow him to pester them and then throw food? Seriously?

Quoting Anonymous:

Scolded him for saying hi?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM

If someone says hi to me and I hear it, I will say it back, but I think it's rude for parents to let their kids keep talking to someone without making sure it's okay.  I have a son who likes to go up to adults and talk when we are at the park.  There are times we've had to call him away and explain to him he needs to leave them alone.  Sometimes the other person will tell us it's okay, so we let him talk.  If they don't say anything, then we know we did the right thing by pulling him away and having him stop.  Not everyone wants to talk to other people and that's okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)