Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Transgender child who won the right to use the girl's bathroom and how I feel about this

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 122 Replies
8 moms liked this

Transgender is a very real thing. Some children from the mere age of 3 or 4 have expressed that they should have been a girl or boy and not what they were born with. It isn't a stage, like a child who wants to be a unicorn or a mermaid. Time, and time again, these young children have been very strong in upholding what they think they should be.

It isn't the same as being gay. Gay is simply finding the same sex attractive and not finding the opposite sex attractive. Not that I see anything wrong with that either.

Some people claim these children were pushed by their parents to want to be the opposite gender. But I know a very real family whose son decided she was a girl, at 3. And there is nothing sadder, trust me, than your child crying their little eyes out because they asked and begged Santa at the age of 4 for some barbie dolls and plush tinkerbells and a few tinkerbell dvd's and a new dress, and finding that "Santa" has instead delivered toy trucks and a toy garage to go with them and a Diego backpack. :( Yes this happened to my friends, who thought they could just make their son want to be their son and not their daughter. The child cried for a month pretty much straight thinking Santa hated her.

This isn't just "gender confusion", or the parents tried to make the child a girl. In fact, it is almost always the other way around for the first few years, where the parents PUSH LIKE HELL to keep their boy child a boy or their girl child a girl. And actually, this does damage and does not make the situation any better at all.

So when they finally accept it, and allow their child to be "happy" in their own skin and start buying them dresses, dolls, or toy trucks and monster truck shirts and pants, the kids become happy, and confident and finally feel accepted by the people who mean the most to them in the world, their parents. Because, until they get married someday or have kids of their own, their parents are their world. Especially when it is hard to make friends because some of the kids know that so and so used to be a boy/girl and now aren't.

Take a look at this child.

This child is transgender. Born a boy, but obviously didn't feel like a boy. Imagine her, having to go into a BOY'S BATHROOM. How much more teasing and and making fun of do you think this child would be forced to endure? She looks like a SHE! She looks like a girl! And making her wear jeans, cut that hair, and wear a red tee and baseball cap so she can use the boy's room without teasing would make her all the more miserable! She is a CHILD, and she feels she is a girl! Not a boy.

How about this child that the above post is about?

How much more teasing and humiliation would this little one recieve on a daily basis being forced to use the men's room? She is already getting the brunt of teasing, I can promise you, yet we want to send her dressed this way into the boy's room?

Who is going to know what these children have under their clothing when they are in a stall, behind a closed door? How does either of these girls using the girls restroom affect your daughter? It doesn't!

And what about this young man using the men's room? Who cares as long as he is behind a closed bathroom door in a stall? Obviously he does not have the equipment to stand at a urinal, at least not yet so he has to use the stall. How ridiculed do you think he would be if he was forced to use the girl's room?

This is simply a new form of discrimination that needs to be nipped. And these kids cannot undergo surgery until a certain age. This isn't like getting your tonsils out where all you need is a parental signature for the go ahead. This is very different. So until they reach that age, these kids should be allowed to feel good in their own skin.

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HappyMorgana
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

bump

britmichele
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I completely agree :)
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this

HappyMorgana
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

:) Bump!

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I agree. I seriously don't know ANY parent that wants their kid to be another gender. It has to be a really sad thing for a parent to go through.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I actually care for a little girl who knows she is meant to be a boy. She is 5 now and this started at 3. Her parents have been so awesome about letting her be who she feels she is.
The other day I finished brushing her hair and said "there. beautiful!" and she snapped back with " I'm not beautiful! Boys aren't beautiful!" She is made to dress in girls clothes but nothing super girly.
PhoenixV
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Some boys are beautiful. :) Also OP, I completely agree.

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually care for a little girl who knows she is meant to be a boy. She is 5 now and this started at 3. Her parents have been so awesome about letting her be who she feels she is.
The other day I finished brushing her hair and said "there. beautiful!" and she snapped back with " I'm not beautiful! Boys aren't beautiful!" She is made to dress in girls clothes but nothing super girly.

Its best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. - Anne Baxter

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM

margarita time

Aydans_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I wish I could like this post more. I completely agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i absolutely agree, it's hard enough being a child these days, don't make it more difficult!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)