Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poverty breeds poverty S/O

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 187 Replies
1 mom liked this
This is a S/O of the post that asks why people choose to stay poor.

If you were born in to poverty, are you poor now?

Or better yet, are you better off financially than your family was growing up? Whether you were poor, middle class, or upper middle class, are you doing better now?

What about your kids? Do you think they will be better off once they are adults than you are? Maybe due to savings, an education you can give them, etc etc.
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in the same class now that I was growing up...solid middle class. We have all of our necessities and most of our wants. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I think we're slightly poorer than my parents were, but we're living a completely different lifestyle.

Anonymous

Poverty is a disease doncha know.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/18697737/Is_childhood_poverty_a_disease?highlight=233999571#post233999571

Anonymous

my mom came from a wealthy family, we were poor growing up because my dad became an alcholic when we were toddlers and my mother raised us alone working only mothers hours, none of us are poor now as adults

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I'm not rich per se, but I'm doing better than my mom
jojo_star
by Jojo on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I was adopted into the upper middle class, and that is firmly where I am now. I wouldn't say we are doing better than my parents, they were, and still are, very successful, but we are doing very well. I hope my kids take what my husband and I have provided and taught them, and are as successful, or more, than we are. 

Rainray2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I am better off now than my parents. My mom had me when she was 15. Didn't graduate from HS. Stepdad worked 16hr days all the time to make ends meet.
I am solid middle class.
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We're living way better than I was growing up. We have three meals a day and snacks! I didn't have that growing up. So, tons better.
liveforever
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Same here. Everything gets paid on time with money left over. We may not be able to take a lavish vacation but we can have dinner out or catch an MLB game.. etc if we want.

Quoting JulyBabies:

I am in the same class now that I was growing up...solid middle class. We have all of our necessities and most of our wants. 

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I was born into poverty. My mother owned her own business for nearly 12 years and did well, but the business didn't open until I was 10. She gave up her business to become a nurse.

My son wasn't born into poverty, but I wasn't rich either. I fell onto hard times a couple of years ago, was digging myself out and started doing okay again; I recently fell back into rough times. I'm pregnant with my daughter who will very much be born into poverty. I have two jobs but I'm still in that poverty bracket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured