Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a speech therapist, ask me anything! Update

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 168 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just in case anyone had any questions or concerns.. I work mostly with kids. :) You can also pm me! It may take me time to respond to your posts though as I am taking care of my 5 month old ds :) 

edit: I hope I was able to help somewhat. I just want to thank you all for your questions! You are welcome to message me whenever. :)

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyslpbaby
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My 8 year old DD still had issues expressing some of what she is saying- like not remembering the name of common items (porch, closet, specific dolls)

background here is that due to constant fluid in her  ears she couldnt hear and therefore talk until she was 3.

is this normal? when should these speech patterns be concrete??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
My 13 month old boy just started saying dada and mama and not much else. He never really did go thru the gibberish phase. Is that a boy thing, or just normal all around?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM
My almost three year old is in therapy because we can barely understand him. His vocabulary could be greater as well. I blame my ex for having him in front of the TV all the damn time. I read it am adversely affect a child's speech and understanding. What your opinion on that?
armyslpbaby
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM

When you says issues expressing, do you mean she can't articulate the words properly? Or can't recall the names? I'm assuming the first one? What sounds does she have trouble with? At age8 you might still expect some issues with late developing sounds like /r/, but other than that she should have acquired all the sounds. However since there is an underlying issue, that may have delayed things. 

Quoting Anonymous My 8 year old DD still had issues expressing some of what she is saying- like not remembering the name of common items (porch, closet, specific dolls)

background here is that due to constant fluid in her  ears she couldnt hear and therefore talk until she was 3.

is this normal? when should these speech patterns be concrete??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM
My 5 year old has what I call a stutter. He doesn't really stutter on his words as much as repeat himself before he can finish a sentence. Should he be in speech therapy? Sometimes I think it really frustrates him.
critter_boo
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM
My dd has speech during school year but not in summer. What can I do for her she is about 2 years behind ,epilepsy, and mild cp
shajdinyak
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I am a special ed teacher;) My two year old, which is my youngest does not seem as developed speech wise as her older sister. Noticed some inital sounds she is not saying. Dr says give it a few months. Special ed teacher in me is going nuts. lol I have been really trying to work with her the last few months and have seen improvement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Here's something I have no idea if you'll know about - My DH swears that some people do this thing where they mouth words as you're talking, or another thing where they'll silently repeat what they just said. I tell him I think he's imagining it because I've never seen anyone do it.  You?

lulalacroix
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Everyone thinks my 11 yr old ss has a cool boston accent, he lives in Colorado. I think he has a speech impediment. Could I be right?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN