Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My wine cellar and drinking cabinet are open for my children to use

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My children are allowed to drink alcohol in my house as long as I watch what they are drinking, I am there watching them, they are not having any friends over, and they are not leaving. Starting at around 14 I have told my children that they are free to have a drink under these stipulations. 

We also have wine many nights with our dinner and that is something that half of my children like and the other half of my children do not like. With every kid they decided to make a drink or two when it was first offered but after that they almost never asked. They didnt see the point of it and we removed the stigma.

My children are all grown now and still have access but usually still do not drink. 

Oh and before people are like OMG it is illegal! No it is not in my state. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
mom2bell
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this

it's just irresponsible.  

I am so thankful I don't have to try so hard.  Then again, I never did want my kids to be my friends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Why is it irresponsible?

They know healthy drinking habits and none of my 9 kids ever got caught doing alcohol underage, at parties, etc. Even as adults they are not huge drinkers minus wine with dinner

It is part of our culture. 

Quoting mom2bell:

it's just irresponsible.  

I am so thankful I don't have to try so hard.  Then again, I never did want my kids to be my friends.

elitish
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
For fucks sake. We did this. No, it most certainly is not..there are exceptions in 43 states.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unless you are outside the US it is against the law.

Quoting Anonymous:

My children are allowed to drink alcohol in my house as long as I watch what they are drinking, I am there watching them, they are not having any friends over, and they are not leaving. Starting at around 14 I have told my children that they are free to have a drink under these stipulations. 

We also have wine many nights with our dinner and that is something that half of my children like and the other half of my children do not like. With every kid they decided to make a drink or two when it was first offered but after that they almost never asked. They didnt see the point of it and we removed the stigma.

My children are all grown now and still have access but usually still do not drink. 

iamjustlisa
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I thought so, too. But, some wonderful CMers were "nice" enough to correct me on that. It is "legal" in some states.

My curiosity was piqued so I spent a bit of time on the subject. While there ARE states that permit (or don't expressly prohibit) parents/guardians furnishing alcohol to their minor children, it is a murky area. When I looked closer at some of those states, there were always warnings about case law and child endangerment/child abuse laws. It appears that if something "negative" was to transpire during or as a result of said consumption, case law and/or child laws could trump statutory "permission to furnish alcohol to a minor by a parent/guardian".

Regardless...not something that would occur in my house.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unless you are outside the US it is against the law.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM
What state over rides federal law?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

It does not override the 21 buying alcohol age. It adds an exception (in my state) that makes it legal for a parent to provide their child with alcohol

I live in colorado 

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Quoting Anonymous:

What state over rides federal law?

tysmommy98
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM
What country are you in?

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually in the countries that allow a younger drinking age and/or do not see alcohol as taboo have a lower rate of alcoholism 

Quoting tysmommy98:

Well it's never too soon to start alcholism.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I live in colorado but I am from france

Quoting tysmommy98:

What country are you in?

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually in the countries that allow a younger drinking age and/or do not see alcohol as taboo have a lower rate of alcoholism 

Quoting tysmommy98:

Well it's never too soon to start alcholism.

TattooedMomto4
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

In Ohio it is legal for parents to allow their minor children to drink as long as they ar present when they are consuming alcohol. We allowed our sons too drink on NYE and ocassionally on special occassions until high school graduation and once they graduated they were allowed to drink a beer or two here and there. Generally they drank maybe once a month, if that. We took away the stigma, it wasn't a big deal. They didn't run off to parties getting drunk, they knew that they could have a drink at home. They are now in their 20's and very rarely drink and when they do it's generally just a drink or two. Hubby and I never saw it as a big issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I told my 9 yr old dd if she waits til shes 18 to smoke pot, id smoke with her... She knows i smoke.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured