Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Might be moving to texas

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies
My husband, 9 month old dd, and I currently live in california but my husband's job might be taking us to Texas soon. His options are either in Houston or midland and I really know nothing about these places. I was wondering if any moms live/have lived around here and could tell me anything about it? Ie cost of living, things to do, schools, culture, ect. I'd really appreciate it as we prepare to make our decision.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberlyp
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Yuck I hate Texas! But I'm in a shitty town. I live in Abilene. It's like four hours from midland. If you're from California, depending on where at in California, you probably won't like Texas. I'm from Oregon so I'm a west coast gal myself and I feel like a fish out of water! Luckily my husband gets out of the military in October so we will be heading back to the west coast!:)
Blue11
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If it ends up being Houston, and he doesn't mind commuting a little, you might try Humble.  It's about a 30 min drive north of Houston and it's a smaller community.  I hope this helps.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I would go to Midland. I believe it is smaller then Houston and I watch The next 48....Scary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM
4 moms liked this
My condolences.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM
He commutes about an hr now so 30 mins would probably be a dream for him. When you say smaller community, what do you mean? I picture a stereotypical southern town where everyone knows your business and borrows sugar lol. Is it like suburbs? Thanks for answering :)

Quoting Blue11:

If it ends up being Houston, and he doesn't mind commuting a little, you might try Humble.  It's about a 30 min drive north of Houston and it's a smaller community.  I hope this helps.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I've lived in central Texas my whole life. I will tell you one thing. Living here has given me the ability to wear jackets and long sleeves in pretty much any state during the summer and still feel comfortable. It's hot as shit from 8am until 6:30pm.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM
What's the biggest difference do you think?

Quoting amberlyp:

Yuck I hate Texas! But I'm in a shitty town. I live in Abilene. It's like four hours from midland. If you're from California, depending on where at in California, you probably won't like Texas. I'm from Oregon so I'm a west coast gal myself and I feel like a fish out of water! Luckily my husband gets out of the military in October so we will be heading back to the west coast!:)

amberlyp
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Hahahha that's exactly what I thought it would be like moving here. It's not. They're mainstream haha

Quoting Anonymous:

He commutes about an hr now so 30 mins would probably be a dream for him. When you say smaller community, what do you mean? I picture a stereotypical southern town where everyone knows your business and borrows sugar lol. Is it like suburbs? Thanks for answering :)

Quoting Blue11:

Sekirei
by Nari on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM
2 moms liked this

DON'T DO IT!

Schools are shit, seriously... this state ranks as one of the lowest for math and sciences and if you need special education, you are better off homeschooling

Culture.. from my personal experience, if you aren't a native texan, you are treated poorly

Things to do.. yes, Sea World is here and there are some amazing things to see (good point)

Since I live on a base, I know very little of cost of  living. 

We are trying so very hard to leave.. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Midland is going to be more small town, Houston is a cluster f*ck, and can be dirty, but there's nice parts. Personally I'd choose midland.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN