Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your kids play tournament style sports???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

What do you pack for food? And how many meals do you pack? Do you bring breakfast lunch and dinner? 

I'm getting sick of, and I know they're getting sick of, peanut butter and jelly. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

we had breakfast at home or in a hotel. lunches can be just about anything you like. Dinner we had out.

cold cuts and cheeses on bagels, bread, crackers or wraps

salads just keep dressing seperate( add meats, cheeses and all kinds of veggies)

yogurts, nuts and fruit

you can keep it in a cooler. Freeze some jiuce boxes like capris sun or waters instead of ice.

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM

For us we will have breakfast at home before we leave.  We usually bring our electric cooler and pack - milk, granola bars, cheese, bread, juice, turkey, fruit, veggies, and dip. - for snacks

For our team usually we have two games the first day - either lunch or dinner will be a team dinner where you are required to attend, the other is free time.

Next day we have breakfast in the room or at the hotel if breakfast is included.  If we have two games then again we have a team lunch, and diner is free or they may have a pizza party for the team if they make the finals

The third day - breakfast is the same then after the game (if you have one) you are on your own either to go home or some parents arrange lunch.

We spend a lot of time eating out, which I hate.  But since we are there for two or three days and most people do not have electric coolers it is hard to keep food fresh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I'm thinking breakfast wilbe had before. 

Last summer we played one that went until 10:30, and I was not prepared for dinner. So I was wondering how many actuallu bring dinner.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

we had breakfast at home or in a hotel. lunches can be just about anything you like. Dinner we had out.

cold cuts and cheeses on bagels, bread, crackers or wraps

salads just keep dressing seperate( add meats, cheeses and all kinds of veggies)

yogurts, nuts and fruit

you can keep it in a cooler. Freeze some jiuce boxes like capris sun or waters instead of ice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I think this must be a different sport. With baseball we will have lets say 2 games friday night, but then there can be 4 or 5 games Saturday all day. There is no leaving inbetween games. And we can be there from 8am until 10pm. Then Sunday it will be 2-3 games.  It's pretty exhausting. 

Quoting highlandmum:

For us we will have breakfast at home before we leave.  We usually bring our electric cooler and pack - milk, granola bars, cheese, bread, juice, turkey, fruit, veggies, and dip. - for snacks

For our team usually we have two games the first day - either lunch or dinner will be a team dinner where you are required to attend, the other is free time.

Next day we have breakfast in the room or at the hotel if breakfast is included.  If we have two games then again we have a team lunch, and diner is free or they may have a pizza party for the team if they make the finals

The third day - breakfast is the same then after the game (if you have one) you are on your own either to go home or some parents arrange lunch.

We spend a lot of time eating out, which I hate.  But since we are there for two or three days and most people do not have electric coolers it is hard to keep food fresh.

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

DS is hockey - so you only have two games max a day.  You are allowed to leave as the games may even be at different arenas.  Games for his age can be as early at 7 am and as late at 7 pm.

DD dances at highland games so we can be there from 7 am till 6 pm.  We pack the cooler full of salad, sandwiches, veggies, water, juice, cheese, and fruit.  Nothing that will spoil in the sun.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think this must be a different sport. With baseball we will ahve lets say 2 games friday night, but then there can be 4 or 5 games Saturday all day. There is no leaving inbetween games. And we can be there from 8am until 10pm. Then Sunday it will be 2-3 games.  It's pretty exhausting. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Wow, just two games? We should have played hockey, lol. I'd love to be able to have some down time between games. We can't leave because between games the kids practice. All games are played at the same complex. So thats why I need enough food. Of course even with double elimination you can be gone the first have of the second game. They guarantee each team 3 games. 

Maybe this year I'll just bring a hibachi? 

Quoting highlandmum:

DS is hockey - so you only have two games max a day.  You are allowed to leave as the games may even be at different arenas.  Games for his age can be as early at 7 am and as late at 7 pm.

DD dances at highland games so we can be there from 7 am till 6 pm.  We pack the cooler full of salad, sandwiches, veggies, water, juice, cheese, and fruit.  Nothing that will spoil in the sun.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think this must be a different sport. With baseball we will ahve lets say 2 games friday night, but then there can be 4 or 5 games Saturday all day. There is no leaving inbetween games. And we can be there from 8am until 10pm. Then Sunday it will be 2-3 games.  It's pretty exhausting. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM
My sd plays softball and sometimes the tournaments can last all weekend.
We get up each morning and eat breakfast. We only pack snacks and drinks. We leave to go get lunch, and eat dinner on the way home. Sometimes dh stays with sd while I go get lunch and bring it back. Sd is 13 and we know everyone on her team so leaving her for 10 minutes isn't a problem.
destiny2nv
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM
They shouldn't make the kids practice in between games. The kids need time to eat and relax too. There should be enough time to grab a quick bite.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I don't mind leaving him there, he's 9 but quite capable. However, what do you bring bacck? Fast food? That would be a no go. I think he would be a reck if he ate greasy foods. 

Plus what if she starts a game before you get back? And a lot of these baseball complexes tend to be in the middle of no where. I'm not so sure that would work. Maybe if I google mapped it before hand to know where places were. 

Last year I had to bring 3 good sized coolers(there are 5 of us) every day. I guess leaving would cut down on some of that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

My sd plays softball and sometimes the tournaments can last all weekend.
We get up each morning and eat breakfast. We only pack snacks and drinks. We leave to go get lunch, and eat dinner on the way home. Sometimes dh stays with sd while I go get lunch and bring it back. Sd is 13 and we know everyone on her team so leaving her for 10 minutes isn't a problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Well there is time to eat, but not tiem to leave and go to a restaurant as another mom suggested. They will eat and then when they're done go out on a firld or in the parking lot(if the fields are full). 

Quoting destiny2nv:

They shouldn't make the kids practice in between games. The kids need time to eat and relax too. There should be enough time to grab a quick bite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)