Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why don't your kids play sports?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 559 Replies

I can't believe how many of my kids friends there are who have never been enrolled in any type of team sport. 

If your kids are over the age of 6 and have never played a team sport, wyy? Is it laziness, money? I don't get it? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

BUMP!

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
5 moms liked this

When I was in school I hated team sports.  I liked sports that were me against everyone else.  I simply hated having to depend on others for my own sucess.  I was a gymnast, tennis player, and any sport where my success or failure was solidly on my own shoulders.  My sister was the same way.

My son hated sports.  He liked music and science.  I found activities for him that he would enjoy instead of just merging with the "soccer mom" mentality.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't believe how many of my kids friends there are who have never been enrolled in any type of team sport. 

If your kids are over the age of 6 and have never played a team sport, wyy? Is it laziness, money? I don't get it? 

Gingered
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

My kids aren't interested in team sports. They both were signed up for soccer and have been offered other sports but don't want to. They spend most nice days outside playing with friends. My youngest would like gymnastics but it is more than we can afford right now.

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

How is it laziness? 

Honestly dd hasn't shown interest and I am glad, I would hate to be stuck out in the heat days/weeks at a time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM

At the age of 4 or 5 how in the world would he know if he didn't try it? 

Quoting Val99:

When I was in school I hated team sports.  I liked sports that were me against everyone else.  I simply hated having to depend on others for my own sucess.  I was a gymnast, tennis player, and any sport where my success or failure was solidly on my own shoulders.  My sister was the same way.

My son hated sports.  He liked music and science.  I found activities for him that he would enjoy instead of just merging with the "soccer mom" mentality.

Quoting Anonymous:

momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Money somewhat, but we are a scout family and would rather do camping, hiking and things like that and not play sports.

WandaSue
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM

my kids play baseball and soccer...lil one starts soccer this fall and he's super excited

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM
5 moms liked this

I think thats the issue with a lot of people, the parents laziness. They don't want to do it, so their kids never get to see what it's like to be a on a team. 

Quoting SweetPea2004:

How is it laziness? 

Honestly dd hasn't shown interest and I am glad, I would hate to be stuck out in the heat days/weeks at a time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids is turning 7. I don't have the money to sign her up for team sports. If she wants to play for a school team I'll scrape up the money then. Also it's not like she has ever even asked to be on a team sprot.

tardistraveller
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Mine is 7 and won't be enrolled in sports again.  He hates them, I'm tired oft he fights and endless encouragement that falls on deaf ears. If he heates them that much I am not going to force him anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)