Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

TV Can Improve Your Kid's Schoolwork, Says Best Study Ever

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

TV Can Improve Your Kid's Schoolwork, Says Best Study Ever

by Julie Ryan Evans

boy watching tvYou know how most studies that come out cause massive amounts of parental guilt? Too much sugar, too little exercise, not enough breast milk, not enough hours spent studying -- it seems every day we get news of how we're harming or not doing enough to help our kids. So that's why I jumped for joy when I read a new study that says children who watch more television do better in school than their peers who watch less.

Can I get a hallelujah? Especially this summer, when my mommy guilt runs high over all the screen time. It contradicts most every other study we've seen, but according to the Daily Mail, the study out of the University of London found that kids who watch three or more hours of TV a day were three months ahead of those who watch an hour or less.

Dr. Alice Sullivan, who may be my favorite doctor ever, said that the "educational value of children's television has been underestimated." This study gets better too. It found that rigid rules -- like regular bed and meal times -- aren't as significant as we tend to think when it comes to our children's school performance either. Perhaps not so encouraging for many, however, is the overall finding that more than anything, social class and a parent's education are the most significant things that determine how well children will do in school.

Regardless, it's certainly not just a license to stick your kid in front of the TV all day and throw the rules out the window. It is just one study, and there are plenty of other reasons besides schoolwork that it's not good for them to be spending endless hours in front of the TV, including the need for physical activity. However, what I think it does do is give us a little bit more of a license to relax the rules once in awhile. So what if our kids watch a half day of TV on one of these lazy, rainy summer days. So what if we let them stay up late once in awhile to watch a baseball game. As long as we love them and try to do our best, they're probably going to turn out okay.

What do you make of this study?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elliem87
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM
This study makes the days I have to spend inside, feel like I'm doing a great job. I could see how the Nick Jr, PBS, and Disney Jr shows would hold more educational value.

My girls love watching these shows and they are learning at the same time.

Other shows, like SpongeBob, are so horrible for kids.

I try to make everything we do together have some educational value. Parents do this without even noticing they are teaching their kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Too much of ANYTHING is bad. Moderation is the key. In theory, if that is what the study is alluding, then I agree.
LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM

While this is only 1 study compared to hundreds saying tv is not good, it probably depends on the shows. Three hours is a very long time and we have enough kids not exercising. Many parents allow non-educational, non-developmental appropriate, violent shows.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I can see how nick jr, and disney jr helps a child with their education. Hell my kid learned to count in ten in Spanish from dora the explorer when he was not even 3. Of course i helped him but really I never would have thought to try if not for us watching her. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Moderation is key. My son pays more attention to mickey mouse then mommy's flash cards.

PoplarGrove
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I think it depends on the type of programming you're letting your little kid watch.  

Spongebob doesn't appear to have much educational value...I know my brain goes blank while watching it.  My daughter watches Zoboomafoo and The Wild Kratts and can tell you in minute detail about all the animals they cover in their shows.  In that way the shows are training her brain to take in and assimilate knowledge.  My 10 year old will watch these historical sketches on Utube for hours if I let her.  She can tell me the Monarch's of Britian, the President's of the United States and has more historical knowledge than most high school kids.  

ajdahd13
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Huh. Interesting. I guess that's understandable if they're watching educational shows. My kids watch a lot of TV, mainly becuase I hate the quiet so the TV is always on. They don't always watch it I guess, but it's always background noise. 

teddysmama09
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I agree to a point. This study is just talking about school performance. Many of the studies that point to the dangers of television take into account the toll it takes on a child's social abilities and the link between too much TV and the rise in obeisety.

My kids have benefited a great deal from the shows on Tree House (I think thats a Canadian channel, but it's similar to Nick jr) and PBS. I tried and tried to teach my son the alphabet but he just couldn't be bothered to sit and listen or look at flash cards. After a few episodes of Super Why he knew the alphabet and was singing it all the time. Toopy and Binoo made my son want to eat vegetables. The Wiggles have been a Godsend to our family when I need to take a shower or get some work done.

Like others have said, moderation is key. Although, on days when the kids or I are sick that moderation goes right out the window!

Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It depends on what they watch. 

My 5 yr old doesn't care for Disney or Nick... he will do small doses of PBS... but LOVES the science channel. 

Moderation is still my thing.

Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting teddysmama09:

I agree to a point. This study is just talking about school performance. Many of the studies that point to the dangers of television take into account the toll it takes on a child's social abilities and the link between too much TV and the rise in obeisety.

My kids have benefited a great deal from the shows on Tree House (I think thats a Canadian channel, but it's similar to Nick jr) and PBS. I tried and tried to teach my son the alphabet but he just couldn't be bothered to sit and listen or look at flash cards. After a few episodes of Super Why he knew the alphabet and was singing it all the time. Toopy and Binoo made my son want to eat vegetables. The Wiggles have been a Godsend to our family when I need to take a shower or get some work done.

Like others have said, moderation is key. Although, on days when the kids or I are sick that moderation goes right out the window!

Yup, that is the closest thing a SAHM can get to a sick day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)