Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about smoke?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 8 Replies

When we moved to a different town where future MIL lives, we first moved in with her for a few months until we could find our own place. When we did, it was about 20 minutes away, my dad offered to help get some stuff we needed from future MIL place to our new place in his truck.

We were able to make about 4 loads over but then it started to rain and we had to call it a day.
When we moved in with her, she had just moved in (renting) and wasnt smoking in the house at all, she would go out front to smoke so the house was smokefree the whole time we lived there.
I really can not stand smoking, I wont go up to someone who is smoking outside and be like "hey thats gross" to each their own but I don't want my little toddlers around it. I grew up around in, stupid people in middle school would ask if I smoked myself because I had to go to school everyday smelling like it.
Well she says when we get our stuff out, shes going to start smoking inside the house.
I mean, it's her house, even tho the landlord said it's a nonsmoking house, it's her name one the lease, her choice.

So I told my SO that we needed to get a moving trailer so we could get the rest of our things.
But then his mom said to leave all the toys, she wanted them to stay at her house.
But I'm the one who spent money on all those toys, they should be at my house and plus shes going to be smoking in the house and around the toys. She said she would close the door but that's so stupid, that doesn't stop the smoke from going in. it goes right under the door, in the airvents and goes around to every room.

They think I'm taking this too far, but these are my children, I want to protect them from what I had to go through.

I just want to be a mother and not be told what I can and cant not protect them from.

So should I just give in to the toys? even tho it would make me upset for the to play with toys that smell like smoke and have been around it?

sometimes I feel like " I need to give a little, this is their grandma,"
but then if she smokes in the house, I really dont want to go over there long even tho she says she wont smoke in the house while we would visit. I'm not sure if that could still harm them?

And since day one, shes been telling me that it's stupid to try and keep them away from smoking. She thinks because she smoked around her son when he was a baby and nothing happened to him, it's perfectly safe.

Should I give in and let her have the toys? or should I stand my ground no matter what SO or his mom thinks.

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I'd rather not smoke or be around smokers.

Aislinn
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I am a smoker who never smokes in my house. lol My husband and I just got a new camp, that a smoker was living in year round. It took me three weekends, four gallons of vinegar and a lot of paint to get the smell out. Not a fan of smelly houses.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Hell no don't give in. My fil smokes in his house, a lot. Even his grocery bags smell like smoke. That smell infects every thing around. Look up third hand smoking..nicotine and crud from the smoke sticks to things, then can be absorbed through the skin. Disgusting.
MJuliet
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

We don't smoke either. When I'm around someone who is smokin, I catch myself holding my breath without even realizing it because I just don't want to breath it in. I let my SO mom smoke outside when she comes over but I feel like she holds in her last drag, comes in and then lets out the smoke when shes in the house just to piss me off.

Quoting Aislinn:

I am a smoker who never smokes in my house. lol My husband and I just got a new camp, that a smoker was living in year round. It took me three weekends, four gallons of vinegar and a lot of paint to get the smell out. Not a fan of smelly houses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I'm very anti-smoking

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Smoking is nasty!! I would not leave toys there to get the nasty odor on. I also wouldn't go visit. But that's me. I don't allow anyone who smokes to hold or touch my ds.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Well even if you take the toys she will just buy others and you are still going to have the same problem. 

Aislinn
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Quoting MJuliet:

We don't smoke either. When I'm around someone who is smokin, I catch myself holding my breath without even realizing it because I just don't want to breath it in. I let my SO mom smoke outside when she comes over but I feel like she holds in her last drag, comes in and then lets out the smoke when shes in the house just to piss me off.

Quoting Aislinn:

I am an atypical smoker. I do not smoke in groups. Never smoked in a restaurant, even when it was legal. I do not throw my butts on the ground and get mad if others do in front of me. It is my habit. Not your habit. Not my kids habit. Not some strangers, walking behind me down the street, habit. If smokers would be a tad more respectful, they would not be banning us.. Outside! lol In my state it is pretty much only legal to smoke in parking lots.. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN