Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are all kids "winners" now days?!?!??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this
Back in the day there were winners and losers. Now-every kid gets a medal, a ribbon, trophy just for participating.. Aren't we setting our young children up to not be competitive?? In the REAL world there are winners and losers-lets not fool these kids into thinking any different!!!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

It's the entitlement generation. They are in for a rude awakening as they get older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
EXACTLY-pretty sad:/

Quoting Anonymous:

It's the entitlement generation. They are in for a rude awakening as they get older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I can see all being winners with little guys like through 1st or 2nd grade that's it. After that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

From what I've noticed, there are participation trophies if you complete a basic minimum.  If you don't do that, you get no trophy.  Then there are "winner" trophies for those that did the best.  I think that's a good balance.  Just like in life, you get something if you participate, but something better if you do better. 

MrsMiles85
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I reward them if they have done their best.  What place they come in doesn't matter to me.  It's about the effort in my eyes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I can agree with that-but I've seen middle and even HS kids not keeping score so no one feels bad.. What a JOKE:/

Quoting Anonymous:

I can see all being winners with little guys like through 1st or 2nd grade that's it. After that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this
And that's the next generation will be a bunch of entitled brats.
There's a book you may like, "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee", that has a whole section on how we're not letting children experience sadness and frustration and how harmful that is.
gdsTX
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I never did like the, "Everybody wins!" attitude that started taking hold when I was young enough for it, but I didn't take part in those sports. I was in one that you can't let everybody win :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Ok but in "real" life-effort doesn't pay sorry to say...

Quoting MrsMiles85:

I reward them if they have done their best.  What place they come in doesn't matter to me.  It's about the effort in my eyes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
We are doing everything in our power to raise our son not to be this way. He is only 3 he has a chart that if he earns 3 stickers he get to blow the catch bubbles ones, 5 stickers is 2 blows. We showed him last night he only got 2 stickers. He fussed but he didn't get his way. He will learn you earn things not just get them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN