Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

wwyd?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

We had kind of a falling out with our landlady, we have to be out by July 24th. We haven't been evicted, we pay our rent on time every month and we haven't broken anything on the lease agreement. We're month to month right now. Her septic system is jacked up and she refused to fix it, blaming us and our water usage. We called the health department who issued her a violation for septic failure and who also checked our usage with the water company and found no fault with us. Still, she thinks we did something to it, so she wrote us a letter to be out.

I'm concerned she'll try to keep our security deposit because she thinks this is our fault. That's neither here nor there, not sure what to do about it if she does.

Anyway, we don't want the kids to have to change schools. We've only found one house for rent in our price range in the school district. There are 6 kids. The house is ALMOST perfect...fenced in yard, good area, well kept, 4 bedrooms. The bad thing is there's only ONE bathroom. Ugh. We did it once before when we were in transition, it wasn't so bad, really, just a pain in the ass. The kids are older now, so it might be more of an issue.

There's another house we found. Different school district. Only 3 bedrooms, which is what we have now. We have bunk beds, the boys and girls are separated, everyone has their own bed and enough space in the bedrooms to play...so it's doable. It has 2 full bathrooms, fenced in yard, bigger kitchen/dining area. The schools are decent, but we really didn't want them to have to switch since the kids and teachers and I are already pretty well aquainted. It's a much newer and nicer house.

Which one would you go for?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

bump

MrsMiles85
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

She can't keep your deposit, it was already said by a professional that you weren't the cause.  Get a statement ready from him.  And I would honestly go with the one that was still in my school district. 

ermka
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM
The second one. Hands down. Unless any of your kids are special needs and would be seriously affected by adapting to new teachers etc.
Kara242
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I would talk to an attorney. I dont think she can kick you out with out an eviction notice!

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Switch districts I wouldn't be in a house with that many people and one bathroom. If you have to go to court for your security deposit.

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

For a month to month any party can end it with a 30 days notice. No reason needed. Same as at the end of a year lease you could just move out. Same concept just shorter time span.

Quoting Kara242:

I would talk to an attorney. I dont think she can kick you out with out an eviction notice!

Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

She can since we're on a month to month basis now. All she has to do is give us 30 days written notice, which she did. She threatened to evict us, but we knew she couldn't do that since she had no grounds.

Quoting Kara242:

areyouatroll
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM
you are only renting, so I would take the first house. how many times are you going to move and switch schools? you don't know for sure. I'd try to find something more permanent in the meantime.
Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

We have been looking into buying something. We were hoping to find something cheaper to rent so we would have more wiggle room to save more for a downpayment. We actually were fine renting this place until we had it together to buy something. Now another security deposit and moving expenses are going to eat up a chunk of what we've saved.

The nicer house also has a rent to own option.

I just really love the school they're in. Ultimately, we'd like to build our own house in this district. This whole thing just means it's going to take longer to get to that point.

Quoting areyouatroll:

you are only renting, so I would take the first house. how many times are you going to move and switch schools? you don't know for sure. I'd try to find something more permanent in the meantime.

Kara242
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Sorry didn't know have never rented before.

Quoting LilliesValley:

For a month to month any party can end it with a 30 days notice. No reason needed. Same as at the end of a year lease you could just move out. Same concept just shorter time span.

Quoting Kara242:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN