Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's the point of having health insurance.... EDIT

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 84 Replies

.... if they don't cover anything? I just had my husband try to pick up my testing strips and apparently all major insurances aren't covering any diabetic supplies. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME???? How are people supposed to live if they don't offer coverage on those items? They expect me to pay almost $200 a box for my testing strips. I can't afford $400 a month (I get 2 boxes a month). That's half my rent. Idk what to do now. I'm so screwed.

I called my doctor and she told me to calm down and try to call the insurance company again. So I did and they were able to give me my bg strips.

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

my sister works in medical billing

from my understanding they are going to go to all mail order supplies

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

DH's insurance covers his testing supplies. And he has horrible insurance.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Get the cheapies. WE buy my FIL's at Walgreens and get their store brand. WE did have to buy their meter, but it is much cheaper.

pregnancy

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM
4 moms liked this

Good insurance is very worth it..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

How about you get another job like the rest of us who have medical conditions?

tossed
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My insurance still covers them 100%

When I needed more strips than required, I looked on EBAY and found some below cost. You might switch glucose meters. There are several on the market that do not cost $400 a month for strips. 

ETA  I did a quick google. There are some brands that are $20 for 2 boxes. Yes, you would have to buy a new meter, but there are some of those that are free on line as well. 

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I live in Canada. My son currently doesn't have insurance and he's been to the doctors twice and had two perscriptions, I've only had to pay $19 for both perscriptions.
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I'm fortunate enough that my husbands work insurance covers 70% of my strips.  If it didn't, I wouldn't be able to get them.

ZazaGoszzy
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM

How much was the meter? I called my insurance company and they said that many insurances are now refusing to cover diabetic supplies because they are considered "over the counter"

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Get the cheapies. WE buy my FIL's at Walgreens and get their store brand. WE did have to buy their meter, but it is much cheaper.

hip2it
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Idk about diabetic supplies but maybe you need a better insurance plan? I'm having a baby and my total cost for all prenatal care, testing, and delivery/hospital stay is $30. Our previous insurance was not as handy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN