Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

have you ever taken in an animal and it back fired on you

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

i guess this would be the best place to post this idk, but have you ever taken in an animal, whether its a stray, adopted, or say from like craigslist so a rehome, and it totally backfired on you. the animal was nothing what the person discribed, was totally out of control? so bad you had no choice but to rehome it or something? this is not for bashing anyone, its not a debate its a simple question! 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kimsamomof3
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Yes! My family had been wanting a dog forever so we decided to find one on Craigslist. The dog was a 3 year old sheltie. Owners told us he was the best dog but a little afraid of storms. So we meet the owners with the dog and decided to take him home. On our way home it started storming. ( owners told me he was a little afraid of storms but nothing big). Well as soon as I took the dog out of the car I lightening struck and there was loud thunder. The dog bolted, got out of his collar, and took off. I was sooo afraid he was going to run. Well it took me 15 minutes in the pouring rain to get him in the house. It rained all night! The dog was so scared and running around the house whining and barking. He wouldn't go outside to pee. The next morning after the rain stopped i tried taking him outside and he wouldnt so anything. After 2 days of the dog not urinating, eating, or drinking, I called the owners and asked if they knew of any suggestions. We decided that he needed to go back home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

wow! yeah simular incident here, i took one off craigslist a dog a smaller dog like a 20 lbs dog, they swore to me the dog was perfect. did no wrong, the first week, fine, the next week he starts shitting all over my floor bc i wouldnt allow him on the bed, pissed all over my carpets.  he barked at everything that sorta moved. he he was fine with the kids. that was about it. then all of a sudden one day he got in the garbaged and i yelled at him, i didnt lay a hand on this dog! and then wham! he changed he would keep shitting and pissing, refusing to go outside for anything, growling at everyhting, one day i went ot go get him from behind the couch to try and get him out and he bit me! thats when my husband tried to call the owners to come and get him they never did, let said u dont come get him hes going to the pound!  well they never responded, so he went to the pound, that day before we left he nipped at my daughter, so glad hes gone, but they did have to euthnize him bc he was proven to be too aggressive to rehome! i feel bad for that i ddint want that to happen but i also didnt want some child getting tore up bc of him!

Quoting kimsamomof3:

Yes! My family had been wanting a dog forever so we decided to find one on Craigslist. The dog was a 3 year old sheltie. Owners told us he was the best dog but a little afraid of storms. So we meet the owners with the dog and decided to take him home. On our way home it started storming. ( owners told me he was a little afraid of storms but nothing big). Well as soon as I took the dog out of the car I lightening struck and there was loud thunder. The dog bolted, got out of his collar, and took off. I was sooo afraid he was going to run. Well it took me 15 minutes in the pouring rain to get him in the house. It rained all night! The dog was so scared and running around the house whining and barking. He wouldn't go outside to pee. The next morning after the rain stopped i tried taking him outside and he wouldnt so anything. After 2 days of the dog not urinating, eating, or drinking, I called the owners and asked if they knew of any suggestions. We decided that he needed to go back home.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Yes, we found a chocolate lab on Craigslist. I was told she was housebroken. She was 6. WE tried everything, but she would not learn. After almost 4 months of cleaning pee and poop up several times a day, we did rehome her to a friend that liked her. She is very happy out in the country being an outside dog. WE loved her to death, but can not have a dog that pees/poops all over the place.

My friend got a dog from Craigslist that was fixed, it had 9 puppies three weeks later. At first she thought the dog was just a little chubby (common for spayed females) but started suspecting the pregnancy shortly before they were born. I now own one of them. One of the only 2 males and she spent 5 minutes reviving him.

pregnancy

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM

wow idk why people lie on there so much especially since most of the time they are asking for like 300 dollars for a mixed bred dog!  i couldnt lie i would have to be honest with them, especailly if the dog is aggressive, you know i had kids why did u give me that dog? its bs i dont even go there anymore for anything

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Yes, we found a chocolate lab on Craigslist. I was told she was housebroken. She was 6. WE tried everything, but she would not learn. After almost 4 months of cleaning pee and poop up several times a day, we did rehome her to a friend that liked her. She is very happy out in the country being an outside dog. WE loved her to death, but can not have a dog that pees/poops all over the place.

My friend got a dog from Craigslist that was fixed, it had 9 puppies three weeks later. At first she thought the dog was just a little chubby (common for spayed females) but started suspecting the pregnancy shortly before they were born. I now own one of them. One of the only 2 males and she spent 5 minutes reviving him.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Lady was free, and I do believe my friend's dog was as well. But, yes, people will lie to get rid of their unwanted animals. It makes it really hard. I am not a novice to dog training, but Lady just could not be taught. I tried crating, rewarding, keeping her outside almost all day, took her to make sure she didn't have a medical issue. Nothing worked. She was sweet as can be and we loved her, we just could not deal with hr going in the house all of the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

wow idk why people lie on there so much especially since most of the time they are asking for like 300 dollars for a mixed bred dog!  i couldnt lie i would have to be honest with them, especailly if the dog is aggressive, you know i had kids why did u give me that dog? its bs i dont even go there anymore for anything

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

pregnancy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

No, but my SIL recently took in a dog that her DH told her was not a pit, but was; was supposed to be potty trained and not go in the house, but it does; has all kinds of disgusting tumors; and has snapped at her two kids. They said they were getting rid of it weeks ago, but that hasn't happened yet. And they wonder why I won't let my kid go to their house...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

ur lucky lol i got that nasty one for free, i have a puppy i got for 50 bucks shes ok but she is super stubborn. she was trained when we got her and she went backwards now she just goes in the house i try to keep her outside as long as can, i tried putting the pads back but nothing works! so we started crate training her. we would let her out to go to the bathroom several times a day, and we thought she was going but all she does is sniff all over the place, we put her back and she actually pisses in the crate! so that doesnt work either. my husband is working with her i no longer have patience to deal with her right now! im hoping this changes id hate to get rid of her!
Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Lady was free, and I do believe my friend's dog was as well. But, yes, people will lie to get rid of their unwanted animals. It makes it really hard. I am not a novice to dog training, but Lady just could not be taught. I tried crating, rewarding, keeping her outside almost all day, took her to make sure she didn't have a medical issue. Nothing worked. She was sweet as can be and we loved her, we just could not deal with hr going in the house all of the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)