Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who knew a country that spoke the same language

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Could be so different. I am staying in England for a while and can't believe how different things are. You say sorry, not excuse me, when passing someone. It is common to hear cheers instead of thanks. My husband was called cheeky by another man. A telephone install man asked for my name amd wrote Mrs. last name with no first name one the paper work. Pop tastes completely different. Portions are a lot smaller. A family size orange juice carton here is a half gallon if not smaller.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

just because they speak the same lanugage doesn't mean their culture, slang, or social norms are the same....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I loved soda over there, I thought it tasted so much better.
This reminds me I was watching an I love Lucy where they do to London and they are asking about something and they couldn't understand the man and Ethel says "we're American, we don't understand English" always makes me laugh!
I have heard the same about French though, Canadian French is different than French in France. I'd say technically they speak English and we speak American English. English in Canada is different in some ways too, so I'd say they speak Canadian English.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM
No but I didn't expect to be so lost. There are switches on every outlet and if you want to use their washer or their freezer part of the fridge, you have to flip a switch.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

just because they speak the same lanugage doesn't mean their culture, slang, or social norms are the same....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM
The pop is definately different. I like the grocery stores a lot better. In a couple weeks we will visit France so we will see how that goes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I loved soda over there, I thought it tasted so much better.

This reminds me I was watching an I love Lucy where they do to London and they are asking about something and they couldn't understand the man and Ethel says "we're American, we don't understand English" always makes me laugh!

I have heard the same about French though, Canadian French is different than French in France. I'd say technically they speak English and we speak American English. English in Canada is different in some ways too, so I'd say they speak Canadian English.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Do you like it though? I would love to go to England :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Yes, it is a lot of fun but we will see how I amd doing in a couple of weeks. My kids are really enjoying it. My DD met an older woman from Wales and they had a lovely conversation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you like it though? I would love to go to England :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured