Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Awwwkward question of the day

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

While reading bed time stories to DD, aged 7, she interrupts me with an awkward question for me.

She asked if I ahd a dad. It really took me by surprise and I wasn't sure how to answer it.

At first, I was going to try to fluff it up, but I felt that I was just over explaining. So I just told her that, I did, but he left when I was a baby.

she then asked why. and I just explained that he didn't want to be a dad anymore and then reassured that her dad wouldn't do that.

it was really awkward for me. I didn't know how to answer it and I hope I answered correctly :(

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I'm big on answering questions honestly with my children..

So I think it was perfect. 

The world isn't all butterflies and unicorns, and I'm not going to present it to them that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I think you did fine.  You answered her question honestly but didn't give too much information.

aidyns_mommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Eh. I would have answered different, but I've never been in that Situation. I would have just said yes, and not explain the leaving part. I think it leaves them with a since of fear that it could happen to them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tapies2324
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:54 PM
You told her the facts. What else could you say? Honesty works.
mom2ljh
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
My son has asked me a similar question. His was, "If grandma is your mom, who is your dad?"
I told him that my dad died when my son was 3. He was 5 when he asked.
We haven't really had anymore conversations on the topic. He seemed satisfied with that.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
That's what I told my kids...my oldest asked me where my daddy was because I 'didn't have a Poppa for her'...it made me sad, but I'm glad he's not in her life...

I just explained it the way you did...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

That's a little easier to explain though.

trying to explain that my father impregnated my mother and then left her while I was a baby was harder. Lol. I obviously didn't sya that, but I kept it appropriate and honest. I just didn't know how to answer it at first.

Quoting mom2ljh:

My son has asked me a similar question. His was, "If grandma is your mom, who is your dad?"
We haven't really had anymore conversations on the topic. He seemed satisfied with that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Oh, I explained that her daddy would never do that. Cause he wouldn't.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Eh. I would have answered different, but I've never been in that Situation. I would have just said yes, and not explain the leaving part. I think it leaves them with a since of fear that it could happen to them

x.Aim.x
by Amy on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I think you did a good job.

mom2ljh
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:10 AM
My dad left when I was 10. I hadn't seen him since 14. I am thankful I don't have to explain that part of it to him. :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

That's a little easier to explain though.

trying to explain that my father impregnated my mother and then left her while I was a baby was harder. Lol. I obviously didn't sya that, but I kept it appropriate and honest. I just didn't know how to answer it at first.

Quoting mom2ljh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)