Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter is like a chameleon, and it's unsettling

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 85 Replies

First off, my daughter is a very good kid. Almost freakishly perfect. She is a gifted student, helps around the house without being asked, does what she's told and asked to do, is so empathetic and kind...etc..

BUT, she has this WEIRD thing that I've never seen in anyone else. She becomes almost a mirror image of whoever she is around, right down to facial expressions and the way they talk. I'm not sure how to describe it to where you can catch the entire gist of it, but it's unsettling. Within moments of being around whoever she is hanging around with, she...like....becomes them....or something. An identical mirror image of their mannerisms and personality. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My daughter does this. She tells me she wants to be an actress. I think she definitely could!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM
That would bother me. How old is she. Does she maybe do it to make friends and fit in id keep a close eye On the type of friends she is having
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I think that's rather normal. We tend to pick up the mannerisms of those around us.

Around one set of people, I may be more reserved and quiet. Around another set of people I may speak the same way they do, and do the same hand gestures and what not.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I've met people like that. It is definitely unsettling but also kinda cool. Is she into acting at all?
HappySquirrel
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM
I used to do this. I was trying to find where I fit. Never did find it; had to make my own wedge. I still am told frequently that I must be one of a kind, or there sure aren't many like you out there, least not that I've met.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

No...dude...this is so much different than what is considered normal. I just don't know how to describe it to make people understand the...severity?....of it. It's way out there, and it's like watching someone completely transform.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that's rather normal. We tend to pick up the mannerisms of those around us.

Around one set of people, I may be more reserved and quiet. Around another set of people I may speak the same way they do, and do the same hand gestures and what not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

No..she has never done any acting or expressed interest. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

I've met people like that. It is definitely unsettling but also kinda cool. Is she into acting at all?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

My 2nd DD who is 8 was like that and we put her in acting about a year ago and she LOVES it!

paintitblack0
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

How old is she?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM

She has ALWAYS been well liked and has always fit in well. I wonder if this is why? She like, adapts, or something, depending on who she is with. 

Quoting HappySquirrel:

I used to do this. I was trying to find where I fit. Never did find it; had to make my own wedge. I still am told frequently that I must be one of a kind, or there sure aren't many like you out there, least not that I've met.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)