Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you feel like people seek you out to argue about your parenting style?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

Celebrity Preaches About Attachment Parenting But Can't Stand Being Judged By Other Moms

by Jeanne Sager

Mayim Bialik attachment parenting bookWatchers of The Big Bang Theory know Mayim Bialik as the hilarious actress who plays neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler. But in parenting circles, Bialik might be even better known as the mother whose dedication to attachment parenting is legendary. The mother of two has been fighting for attention for her co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding ways for years now ... only now she can't understand why people are always picking fights with her about it!

Ahem! Moms! Dads! If you're picking the path of advocacy parenting, take note! It WILL end up biting you in the rear end eventually!

According to a recent interview Bialik gave, every time she turns around, she finds herself having to defend her parenting choices:

If I'm talking to girlfriends, if I'm talking to random people, and we're talking about parenting, I tell them what works for me and why ... But a lot of people want to ask me things so that they can fight with me.

And just because I'm a public person, who happened to have breastfed and slept with her kids, that doesn't mean that I want to fight with you on the street or in the supermarket.

I can't really blame her. Parenting is such a personal thing that having it picked apart -- even by strangers -- can be devastating.

But even while I feel some mother-to-mother sympathy for Bialik, it's tempered by the fact that she put herself out there, not the other way around. She wrote the book on attachment parenting. Literally!!

And while I tried to read Beyond the Sling, really tried, I had to give up about halfway through because it was simply too judgmental. Bialik's words are practically dripping with the disdain for us common folk who disagree with -- or can't afford!! -- her extremist child-centric views.

Note I say HER extremist views, AP parents. Because while she does advocate many things common for attachment parents, Bialik takes them a step further than most.

She is a classic advocacy parent, the type who takes her beliefs about how moms and dads SHOULD live and attempts to foist them on others.

It's one way to parent. If that's you, and your beliefs are that strong. It's especially tempting when you are new to this whole parenting thing, when your child is a baby, and you're just so impressed with yourself that you can actually DO it, that you've convinced yourself that your way is THE way, the truth, the light.

But there is an important lesson to be learned before you start, a lesson Bialik exemplifies so well in her recent complaints: judge not, lest ye be judged!

Because there's nothing quite like taking a judgy mom down a peg or two, is there?

What do you think of the backlash Bialik is getting? Do you feel like people seek you out to argue about your parenting style?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
8 moms liked this

no because I know better than to tell my entire parenting style to people on CM, especially in this group.

starlight91
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont care what others think of my parenting style.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I think she put it out there, she should have been prepared for it to bring some backlash

JustBreath2013
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
That chick looks like blossom
Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this

Actually SEEK me out? I've yet to see it.

I've been told my suggestions to others or descriptions of what I've chosen as a wife and Mom are "cray cray," which is a word that alone just.............I don't know..............suggests that the ability to argue points as a reasonable adult is beyond the grasp of the individual writing that popular term.

As for Bialik, I think the old saying of "You can dish it out but you can't take it" might apply to her.

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

She was Blossom. :)

Quoting JustBreath2013:

Bauxite-17
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if you're very public about your parenting choices, people will try to pick a fight with you about it, but if you're just going on with your life and minding your own business, the most you get a snide comment and sideways glares, otherwise...who gives a shit.

JustBreath2013
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this
Lol, derp.....

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She was Blossom. :)

Quoting JustBreath2013:

Nunyabusiness
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

No because I don't blast around my opinions on parenting styles and don't tell everyone my business. If they have problem and say something I tell them it's none of their business either. When you open your mouth and preach your opinions then don't expect others to be quiet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

No I find they always try to give me advice even though their kids are usually brats, they are all stressed to the max and I hear them yelling at their kids and me and my kids are fine. I'm like ok right I didn't ask but thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)