Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

abortion linked to premature birth in subsequent pregnancies?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 24 Replies

in my state (NC), there is a bill being sent to the house that would require updated sex education for middle & high schoolers.  specifically, it covers the problems that can arise with low birth weight/preterm birth.  the risk factors include prenatal smoking (makes sense), lack of prenatal care (okay) and abortion.  um, what?  i have never heard that.  i intend on researching it, but i just wanted to know if i've somehow missed out on common knowledge.  i've never had an abortion, but a few of my friends have and their subsequent pregnancies/deliveries were just fine. 

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I had one. I've never delivered earlier than 41 weeks with 2 subsequent pregnancies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Mine was born 8lbs 7oz 2 weeks late
autodidact
by Snarknado on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

more bullshit and lies 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think so. My mother and a friend had one, my mom had another child after he was born at 41wls, my friend had 3 kids all born at 39wks. Maybe mulitple abortions like morecthan 5 or something might cause it. But I know too many could cause a lot of health problems.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

People who smoke and lack prenatal care also have healthy, full term babies everyday.

It makes sense to me. Previous pre-term births put you at risk for more pre-term births. 

My first baby was born 3 months early. So I was considered high risk with my other two pregnancies, but didn't give birth until 41 weeks with both.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Um no.  I went to 40+ with both my pregnancies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I had 2 children after my abortion and they were both overdue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had two abortions

One before kids my first bornwas 2 weeks lates and 9.5 lbs

I then had another abortion years later and years after that I had my second son who was born on his due date and 8 lbs

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

How so?

Having a miscarriage puts you at risk for preterm birth later on.

Having a preterm birth puts you at risk for preterm birth later on.

Why wouldn't abortion also do the same?

Quoting autodidact:

more bullshit and lies 

LvngMmyCampbell
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you, never ever heard that. I don't see how that would effect the subsequent babies. I had 3 miscarriages before my first son. The last one, I had to have a type of abortion because my body wasnt passing all of the baby out of there. It's called a D&C procedure. From what I know, it's a bit similar to an abortion. Anyway, my point was that my next two children were almost 8 pounds each. Not exactly the same, but my only experience I can speak to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)