Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA** please help me understand this (gay, transgender, etc related)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies
2 moms liked this

on another post about the defense of marriage act being kicked one of the first comments was "equality for all" and I hear this all the time. I get it. I get what it means. What I don't get is the general double-standard. What I mean is what about the teen who wants to be in a consenting relationship with an adult? I always hear things like "they are still a kid, they aren't mature enough to make that type of decision" or "they aren't legally allowed to make that decision"  and other things of the sort. Yet, on the topic of transgender toddlers or kids the majority of the opinions agree that a 6 year old is old enough or mature enough to make THAT decision...the decision with which gender they relate. I don't get the apparent double-standard.

please explain this...without saying "it's not the same". clearly, it's not EXACTLY the same. however, I do think they are comparable scenarios. and no, I'm not being judgmental or a bigot, nor am I trying to be rude. I sincerely do wish to understand the hypocrisy that seems to be involved here. why is a teen not old enough to enter the relationship they choose...yet, a six year old is old enough to decide they are living in the wrong body?

ETA: for those of you who cannot read, I mentioned nothing about said teen entering a sexual relationship...not all relationships are sex based. Therefor many of your responses are invalid. Also, yes I understand that being transgender does not mean being gay

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

no one?

j3st3r
by Jedi on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

That six year old isn't having sex.

sampson200
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

No, no they're not comparable scenarios.

Not at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

figures...

Quoting sampson200:

No, no they're not comparable scenarios.

Not at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

How do you compare a teens statutory rape to a child who is using a different restroom or wearing clothes society thinks they should not wear? That is the question here. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

but according to the majority od cm'ers they don't care if their teens are having sex

Quoting j3st3r:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

but according to the majority od cm'ers they don't care if their teens are having sex

Quoting j3st3r:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM

kids being able to make decisions they shouldn't be allowed to make.

did you have an actual answer to my question? i sincerely am curious

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you compare a teens statutory rape to a child who is using a different restroom or wearing clothes society thinks they should not wear? That is the question here. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting j3st3r:

With someone their age. I am sure the "CM'ers" would have issue if their thirteen year old was screwing a forty year old. For you to even write this post shows how "intelligent" you are. 

j3st3r
by Jedi on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

You asked why the difference in thinking.  You say "double standard" but that implies that the two concepts are equal.  They are not.

Not okay- my teenage cousin/niece etc. having sex with an adult.

Okay- a young child dressing/acting how s/he feels most comfortable.

FYI: a transgendered child isn't necessarily gay.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting j3st3r:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)