Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you willingly go on PA in order to go to school full time?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Keep working and slowly taking classes to stay off PA

Bust it out and get it done, using PA

Other ideas? (explain for me)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

I want to quit my job and go back to school to get a CAREER. But there is no possible way we can afford it. I am already taking 1 or 2 classes per quarter, on financial aid (so schooling is already free for me), but it will take me 10 years at this pace. If I could focus on going full time, I could be done in 2 years and start making a "real" income, which means paying back into the system instead of taking from it a lot sooner. It feels wrong, but in some ways it make sense. Im torn. What would YOU DO?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Why not. Everyone else does.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
You could use the loans and grants to budget monthly expenses and not use PA
LovelyCorrupt
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I worked full time and went to school, while pregnant and having a three year old at home. I didnt need PA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, if I got fired/lost my job right now, I would go on PA to get help while I get an education.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I'd feel better about someone using it to go to school. At least it's temporary, and you are getting yourself somewhere where you won't need assistance again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
That's how PA gets abused.
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Agreed

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd feel better about someone using it to go to school. At least it's temporary, and you are getting yourself somewhere where you won't need assistance again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM
In NYS its not that easy. Here, if you admit you are in school you will be told to quit and use that time to work instead. It happened to my neighbor.

I actually don't agree with that policy, it makes no sense. Apparently, they'd rather have you not further your education and work at McDs your whole life, all the while STILL collecting food stamps because McDs doesn't pay enough.

Fucking stupid.

In anyevent, I worked full-time when my son was an infant and took 6 night classes per week, finished just as fast.

I nannied and took him with me to work to be able to raise him with no daycare.

Can you nanny and take your child?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Keep working, take more classes, put your big girl panties on, and deal with it!!! There is NO reason to rely on PA just because you made shitty decisions and can't afford to feed yourself anymore!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM
If by some miricle your state will let you do that then do it! I did a short certification that landed me a job making $16 an hour, I work 8-12 hour a week and go to school full time. My weeks are hard and long. Me have fs and medical, because I'm in school. Am protected on the fs side of things. They won't cut me off whether or not I'm working, if I wasn't in school and not working they would cut the food after so long. If I asked for cash, which I am eligible for they would tell me to quit school. There is no childcare assistance for school here. I work to pay my daycare bill and live on financial aid. In the end all of it will be worthwhile, but right now it sucks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)