Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

haha, total parenting win on my part!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 48 Replies
23 moms liked this

At least I think so.

Yesterday I told my two oldest boys to clean their room.  They did a very crappy job. My oldest gave me an attitude and said "Well I don't know what you want me to do mom!"... I was already very pissed and stressed, so I walked away to calm down.  then I realized the perfect way to address the situation with him.

I walked upstairs sat on his bed and said

"I am sorry. This is my fault.  I have been lax about chores. I have been letting you guys play before chores.  I thought that you were responsible enough to complete your chores without me being so strict about them.  I was wrong about that.  And I thought I had taught you well enough how to clean properly. I was clearly wrong.  I will do whatever it takes to correct that.  I don't want you to fail at things as simple as cleaning your room.  So starting tomorrow we will go back to "no fun till chores are done" and since your don't know how to clean we will practice, practice, practice till we get it right."

hahah, the look on his face went from smug to dread, it was priceless.  I left the room before he could respond.  It wasn't long after that that he came down and said his room was clean... which it was, but I didn't say anything.  This morning when they woke up I had their chore list ready and made it clear that we would do nothing fun till after chores were done right, and I added extra chores to my oldest list with a little note that said "practice makes perfect and with a smiley face next to it".  I could tell he wanted to argue, but he wasn't willing to take that chance. 

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
big.city.mama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Omg high five mom I love it
HisAngel91
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Good job
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
bahaha nice job mama!!! I'll have to remember that one!!
daughteroftruth
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

bahaha nice job mama!!! I'll have to remember that one!!

I think it just took 1st place in my go to discipline techniques.  so far chores are done and he even made breakfast for everyone.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Lol i did the same thing! Great job !
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Mama for the win.
SJG1013
by SJG on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Mom-1
Kids-0
RightSock
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM

LOL 

daughteroftruth
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting JDmommyJD:

What was your scenario like.  I love this, I'm going use this more often.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Same thing basically. I kept letting them get away with half ass cleaning jobs. Their rooms, after cleaning them, still seamed messy..
They came hinge from school I've day and handed them lists..daily chores. Told them time to get back into the swing of things..since they dint injure how to clean on their own anymore, ill direct them. They were less than thrilled. And now, they have extras. Lol

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting JDmommyJD:

What was your scenario like.  I love this, I'm going use this more often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)