Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you call CPS if

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

You knew someone that was neglecting their child?

A friend of mine (JAY) is very upset with another friend of ours (EMM) and wants to call CPS on her.  JAY has told her that she needs to stop partying so much and take care of her child, but she doesn't listen and does it anyway.

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal or whatever, but her and her mother go out and party while they leave the 2 year old there with her brother that has autism and her dad that suffers from brain damage from a car accident while she is out until 2 or 3 every morning.

I don't know because I never visit EMMs house, I just see her around sometimes. JAY has been in her house several times and says that the brother and the dad are not capable of taking care of the 2 year old properly. She said that if the child gets hurt in any kind of way that they freak out on the brother with autism and yell and scream at him. If the baby gets into anything while they are gone out they yell and scream at him for that too. JAY says she has witnessed this.

JAY says that she thinks its neglect and I am kind of with her on that if the conditions of dad and brother are as bad as they say they are. I say that if someone is not capable of living on their own then they should not be watching a toddler at all.

Thoughts?

This is not a stab at people with autism, but by JAYs description of the people, this is not high-functioning autism, but its not non-verbal either. I just don't know what advice to give to her.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liels898
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes, I would call CPS. They are trained to figure out whether or not a child can be taken care of properly and if you can save this little one from a life of neglect or possible abuse, it's your responsibility to do whatever you can to make that happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I will tell her. She will have to be the one to call, I have never witnessed any of this first hand.

I do know that I was told by EMM before that the husband and the brother would never be able to live alone, but I never gave much thought to it. I knew she went out every night because my friend complained about it, but I had no idea it was her brother and dad that was watching the child until yesterday. My friend asked me to have a girls night with her and I jokingly said no because I didn't want her judging me like she judges EMM and that is when she told me everything. Now she is asking me my opinion on calling CPS because EMM called her this morning complaining because she came home last night and the baby had a diaper full of pee.

Quoting liels898:

Yes, I would call CPS. They are trained to figure out whether or not a child can be taken care of properly and if you can save this little one from a life of neglect or possible abuse, it's your responsibility to do whatever you can to make that happen.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

The brother and father do not sound like they can be babysitters. If she refuses to listen I'd unfortunately have to call CPS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I agree. I am staying out of it though because I have never witnessed any of this. She is going to be the one to call.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

The brother and father do not sound like they can be babysitters. If she refuses to listen I'd unfortunately have to call CPS.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Poor baby, cps does need to be involved

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

not only are they neglecting the baby adn putting her in harms way from what you said they are abusing the son as well call cps at least they can check it out  if you dont call adn somethign happends how will you feel at least if you call you did your part 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Yes I would
LilliesValley
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM

You have to do what's right for you and your concious. I'd much rather call and have it be dismissed than not. If something did happen to the kid, I'd have a hard time living with myself.

xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Why isn't the child in bed if they're gone until 2 or 3 am? If the baby was sleeping and the father was there I'd say it's fine, but the kid is awake, uncontrolled, getting into trouble...I'd probably call.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)