Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kicks and punches

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

How can I stop my 5 year old kicking and punching me when she comes into my bed at night?  She doesn't always come to me - just when she has a bad dream...  But seriously she is one strong 5 year old and I have saved myself so often from a stomach kick!  I've even tried telling her to stop, although she's asleep! 

Also, how can I stop her nightmares! Or ease her back into a peaceful sleep?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Those are night terrors. Mine used to have fits of rage or hysteria in his sleep and the more I tried to wake him up, the more he attacked me.  I finally figured out that I needed to just let him fight it out on his own. He never came to my bed, though, he always did it in his bed.  He never remembered it hte next morning. Can you just restrain her so she doesn't hurt you?

Shabz
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM

BUMP!

Shabz
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I do restrain her and I know of night terrors thank you

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Those are night terrors. Mine used to have fits of rage or hysteria in his sleep and the more I tried to wake him up, the more he attacked me.  I finally figured out that I needed to just let him fight it out on his own. He never came to my bed, though, he always did it in his bed.  He never remembered it hte next morning. Can you just restrain her so she doesn't hurt you?

horseap
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM

DONT TOUCH HER AND STAY AWAY!  Its a night terror.  You cant stop it.  What helps is what you do BEFORE BED.  Did she miss a nap, have a hard/long day, cry before bedtime, was the routine disrupted in any way, was someone not there/was there today out of the ordinary?

shyone_91786
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM

My son will do that sometimes and I have to hold him down and rub his back to try and confert him. I have gotten hit a few times.

horseap
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

NO NO NO dont hold her back or down.  When you touch her YOU become part of the dream.  You can talk to her to calm her that way.  She doesnt know the person touching her is mommy and not whatever is wrong.  Tell her that you are there and she is safe. Everything is alright.  Contact during a night terror puts you and her at risk

Shabz
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:46 AM

She did have a hard long day at school.

Quoting horseap:

NO NO NO dont hold her back or down.  When you touch her YOU become part of the dream.  You can talk to her to calm her that way.  She doesnt know the person touching her is mommy and not whatever is wrong.  Tell her that you are there and she is safe. Everything is alright.  Contact during a night terror puts you and her at risk

horseap
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Just look for a pattern of it happening.  Stressful days, go a little bit slower for bedtime routine.  Cuddle a few extra minutes, read two stories not just one, sing songs before bed.  Just things to help them relax into sleep, not crash into a hard sleep and the sleep stages get stuck.  DS is 7 and has been having night terrors since he was 3.  I didnt mean to yell in your post but the PP was not giving you good advice.  Its a hard thing to watch as a parent.  Its NOT effecting the child, they really have no clue.  But having your child cry for you to help or save them or to not leave them while flailing around is heartbreaking when touching them makes it worse and you have to sit there while it happens.  Good luck and I hope you two can find the trigger to stop them before they have a chance to start!

Quoting Shabz:

She did have a hard long day at school.

Quoting horseap:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN