Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm disappointed with the way my niece's graduation went down....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies
3 moms liked this

My niece graduated high school last night. My daughter was supposed to attend and go out to dinner last night night with the family, but she went to work instead. I told her weeks ago to request the night off, but she didn't. She did request time off for her graduation, prom, and prom weekend. She works at a local ice cream shop. I asked her to get coverage, but she said it didn't work. So, she was as going to call in sick, but my husband got angry, and yelled at her for not requesting time off ahead of time. She went to work.

I got in from work , after all this went down. I was upset that she wasn't going. My husband said it was her own fault. We went. My niece , brother in law, and sister in law were disappointed, she wasn't there and I felt terrible! The girls are so close and my daughter should have been there.

My niece was at her graduation and dinner last week! Should I have told her to pretend to be sick to get out of work and come with us? It's just a part time job and a graduation is once in a lifetime! Daughter said its her dad's fault for yelling at her.

I feel badly about the whole situation. Wish we had a do over! How would you feel? What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM
27 moms liked this

Your husband is teaching your daughter responsability.  If she couldn't get the shift covered then it was her responsability to be there to cover the shift.

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM
3 moms liked this

eh maybe b/c my kids are still so little i cant fathom graduation yet, but.... no biggie, i think everyone is overreacting.  i graduated college and HS and i dont even remember who all attened and who didnt.  in the grand scheme of life, this is small :)

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM
3 moms liked this

This.  It sucks but in the world things like this happen all the time.  I've missed plenty of things I really wanted to go to or do because I couldn't find someone to cover my shift and didn't take the day off in time.  Personally I think your husband was right.  Pretending to be sick to get out of work is a really bad idea.

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

Your husband is teaching your daughter responsability.  If she couldn't get the shift covered then it was her responsability to be there to cover the shift.

xoxRachelxox
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

How do you know she didn't request the time off ahead of time? Even if she had, if there wasn't anyone to cover, she has to go in. 

momof3grls4517
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Did your dd really want to go to her cousin's graduation? It doesn't sound like it. Also I hope you reminded your dd that its no one's fault but her's that she did not go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM
3 moms liked this
I think your DH did the right thing. Your DD knew about her cousin's graduation way ahead of time and could have asked for the time off in advance. Really the person who should be upset is your niece. She took the time to be there for your DD's graduation - its a shame that your DD was not considerate enough to return the same. If anything, your DD should apologize to her cousin for not bring there on her special day. Your DD is just mad at DH because she know he was right by holding her to her commitments.
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM
4 moms liked this

She absolutely should have gone to work. I'm not sure why you feel bad? She is old enough to bare responsibility for her actions.

Also, calling in sick would have burdened the people she works with and the owner of the store. What kind of thing is that teaching her? Your own pleasure and someone's possible feelings are more important then your responsibilities and obligations?

I've missed family weddings, graduations, baby-showers... To work. Sometimes you can get off sometimes you can't. It's not the end of the world. 

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

if your daughter couldn't get the shift covered then she was right to go to work and be responsible.   calling in sick when you aren't is irresponsible.     I think you are over reacting.   it sucks she couldn't make it but she was responsible and showed up to work   how is that a bad thing?

MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont know. Graduation doesnt mean much to me, I got my GED.
jarkrt
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Work takes precedence. She'd already taken several days off around the same time. Asking for yet another day off would be pushing her luck. Get over it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)